Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Poll
Yes 25 83.33%
No 5 16.67%
Voters: 30. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-10-2007, 02:02 PM

Default Rate your level of self-loathing

I don’t want this to become a poll-only thread, because I’m interested in discussion of this topic. So if you vote, please comment.

El Diablo’s recent sleep thread, combined with the recent survey about personality disorders, has got me to thinking about the emotional health of the OOT population. Many people have suggested that the desire to stave off sleep is somehow related to dissatisfaction with the amount they’ve accomplished that day and/or a vague feeling of wanting to get things done before putting that day in the books. I would imagine that many of the same people spend their waking moments before falling asleep thinking about how little they’ve done, the enormous amount of work they have hanging over their heads, their dissatisfaction with job performance, and the general malaise that stems from these feelings.

In a related development, the disorders thread has shown many OOTers to be prone to narcissism. I think this is largely a product of self-awareness about relative levels of intelligence more than a reflection of genuine collective arrogance (though I could be wrong). After all, one can imagine himself to be reasonably intelligent and still not like himself very much (I would suggest that this condition obtains in me). Or I suppose one could be somewhat self-loathing, while still hating “people” even more.

So I have some questions.

Thanks for satisfying my curiosity.
Old 01-10-2007, 02:06 PM

Default Re: Rate your level of self-loathing

I had a problem with question #2. I have a low opinion of other people's intelligence, but at the same time a high opinion of their worth. Maybe that's a condescending attitude.

My own level of self-loathing has decreased a lot over the past couple of months, largely due to a lack of hangovers and not waking up with no bankroll and a list of calls in my cell I don't remember making.
Old 01-10-2007, 02:06 PM

Since I asked for comment, here's mine:

I spend a great deal of my free time considering my flaws, though less than I did before making dramatic life changes (including a move and change of job).

I responded that I "basically never" take action to improve myself, though I've just acknowledged that I made major changes to my life within the last year, so perhaps "sometimes" is more appropriate. (I feel a great deal of inertia, as many have alluded to in the sleep thread.)

While I often meet people whose personalities or level of intelligence annoy me to no end, I'm not a "ZOMFG I HATE IDIOTS AND PEOPLE!!!!!111" sort.

All of this leads to me being moderately satisfied with my life, whereas a year ago I would've been "completely unsatisfied."
Old 01-10-2007, 02:21 PM

I am generally satisfied with my life and I generally like other people. I have good days and bad days though.

I'd prefer having enough passive income to not have to work much and just enjoy my family, travel, etc., but I'm not miserable because I don't have that (yet).
Old 01-10-2007, 02:27 PM

My life is okay, but I'm about to make a big move that will have an as yet unknown effect.

Meanwhile, I think I'm a pretty okay guy. I've screwed up some relationships over the years, but other than that, I've handled most adversity pretty well. I did look down on other people a lot when I was younger, but as I've matured I do that a lot less.
Old 01-10-2007, 02:31 PM

I'm generally satisfied with my life with exception of the following:

I never finished college due to me taking a commission job straight out of the Army and doing OK for myself. This really limits certain job oppurtunities and to tell you the truth it makes me a little uncomfortable on dates.

I'm in a bit of debt because of a failed business venture... but my 401K savings and the fact that I "own" everything I have makes me feel better.

One thing I notice is that if I'm not going to the gym (and trust me, Ill never be on the cover of 'Men's Fitness') I feel WAY shittier.

For some reason if I'm getting in 3-4 hours of gym time a week; I feel better about work, relationships, money, poker, basically everything.
Old 01-10-2007, 02:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I had a problem with question #2.

[/ QUOTE ]

i agree. i think pretty much everyone is stupid, but beyond that i don't put myself above them or think they're worthless.
Old 01-10-2007, 02:34 PM

Follow-up:
Old 01-10-2007, 02:35 PM

Regarding your misanthrope question... this is the weirdest thing about me.

I have very little disstain for individuals that I feel are below average in the IQ, work-ethic, or "worth" department.

However, I despise 'groups' of people I deem to be less intelligent than I am. This comes up mostly in politics. Where-as I don't mind if an individual is Pro-life... I absolutely hate Pro-life 'groups' that try to advocate more government control of an individuals body.

Is this weird???
Old 01-10-2007, 02:40 PM

I hate myself, a lot. The past two years have been nothing but failure for me. My GPA has plummeted to 2.2. I have zero plans for the future. I haven't had sex with a girl above a 5 in two years. I avoid former friends and family like the plague.

I do have a few things keeping me going however. I am good at poker and I do enjoy sports, which I excell at.