Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-13-2005, 01:45 AM

Default The dirty little secret about Miller\'s book for players with PT

Do yourself a favor and read this post, you have already spent all that time reading so many books that you should read this post and understand why those books are coming up short.

here is a conclusion i came to recently to illustrate how a good 2+2 player who understands postflop play can break even.

run this very simple filter to see where you stand..

in the filter window select "not a blind"...a good player will win .07 bb/hand outside the blinds, so if you are there or above that stat..well done..if you are below then you have some work to do.

please read on

now go to the positions tab and look at your bb and sb positions. if you lose more than (.20) from the bb and more than (.09) from the sb then you have some work to do. chances are if you make .07 in the other filter but lose too much from the blind positions then you are probably playing too tight from the blinds.

here is where i blow your mind...

lets say "Joe" plays $2-4 and has played 50k hands so far in pt. he makes .07 outside of the blinds (which is 77% of your total hands played). so he has made $10,780 outside the blinds. now from the bb he loses (.28) per hand. that means he lost $6440 from the bb and lets say he loses (.11) from the sb = $2530.
so his profit is $1810 over 50k hands which = 0.90 bb/100
that is not a good average.

now lets take "Joe" and improve his blind play alone.
he still makes $10,780 from outside the blinds, but now he only lose (.16) from the bb. thats a loss of $3680 and he loses (.07) from the sb for a loss of $1610. now his total profit is $5490 which is now 2.74 bb/100 !!!

thats a big diff. huge
and that is how alot of good players continue to get break even results. (the dirty little secret is that miller never talks about blind play in his book and THAT is why so many good players cant reach 2bb/100)
Old 09-13-2005, 01:52 AM

Default Re: The dirty little secret about Miller\'s book for players with PT

A lot of people aren't going to take you seriously because you're new here, but I think your post is well reasoned. The only thing I'm not so sure about is whether it's Ed's "dirty little secret."

I think blind defense/offense isn't dicussed much in SSHE because in most live small stakes games you rarely have to worry about it. Online 2/4 is much tighter, and so this skill becomes much more important.

Fwiw, I win .08bb/100 hands outside the blinds, and lose .21 in the BB and .12 in the SB.
Old 09-13-2005, 01:55 AM

yeah i get your point about ed, im just tryig to drive home how millers book wont give you all the tools you need to make 2bb/100 online
Old 09-13-2005, 02:03 AM

This is an interesting post. There is still plenty of other areas your game needs to be improved in order to make 2BB/100 I believe. FWIW, over 50,000 I am only at 1BB/100, outside the blinds I am at .07 p/hand, on the BB I lose .19 and the SB I lose .10. Looks like I am doing something else wrong
Old 09-13-2005, 02:07 AM

That's crazy. I only make .01bb/100 more outside the blinds, lose more in the blinds, but make more than twice as much as you per 100 hands (from a total sample of 49k at euro, but that includes 20k 1/2 hands).
Old 09-13-2005, 02:11 AM

i have a .06 outside the blinds and a -.23 in BB and -.11 in small blind, so whats your advise?
Old 09-13-2005, 02:15 AM

Edit : Nevermind, had it filtered for September.

-.15 out of the big blind, -.10 from the small, and .09 from outside. There we go.
Old 09-13-2005, 02:18 AM

Location: this forum again I will ban you. If you send me an email or private message, I will ban you.

whooohooo! .09bb/hand outside the blinds. -.17bb/100 in the bb, and -.03bb/100 in the sb. i rule! minus downswing [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img].

nice post man, but yeah, i dont know that not discussing blind play is a "dirty little secret". its just something that is overlooked i suppose. small blind play is especially tricky and hard to convey in a book i suppose?

rj
Old 09-13-2005, 02:23 AM

That's really good. How many hands and what limits?
Old 09-13-2005, 02:31 AM

How did you come up with these numbers?