Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Home Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-10-2007, 01:47 AM

Default Need help for home tourney.

Me and 7 or 8 friends are going to hold a "satellite" to larger tourney (probably a WSOP event). however instead of just having a single tournament we want to have a series of 3 to try and determine the best player. However we're having a hard time coming up with a points system. Giving 8 points to 1st, 7 to 2nd, 6 to 3rd, etc seems too simplistic as i think there should be larger differentials between places. Does anyone have an idea or two to help us out? Thanks in advance...
Old 01-10-2007, 02:23 AM

Default Re: Need help for home tourney.

Give points to top 4: 5, 3, 2, 1
Old 01-10-2007, 01:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Me and 7 or 8 friends are going to hold a "satellite" to larger tourney (probably a WSOP event). however instead of just having a single tournament we want to have a series of 3 to try and determine the best player. However we're having a hard time coming up with a points system. Giving 8 points to 1st, 7 to 2nd, 6 to 3rd, etc seems too simplistic as i think there should be larger differentials between places. Does anyone have an idea or two to help us out? Thanks in advance...

[/ QUOTE ]

Since you want to determine the "best" from 3 tourneys, you need to think about whether a 1st and 4th is better than a 2nd and 3rd, or two 2nds, or if 1st,1st,last is better than 3rd, 2nd, 1st... etc.

Set up points accordingly. Play out different scenarios in your head, calculate the points, then see if the results match your goals.

Our system, which has nothing to do with YOUR goals, is 60 for 1st, 45 for 2nd, 35 for 3rd, then 25 for anyone else in the money, then 20 for anyone else who made the final table, then 15 and 10 points. You sit in the tourney, go out on the first hand, you get 10 points (and an extra T200 for your NEXT tourney).
Old 01-10-2007, 03:03 PM

we use the following formula, and it works well for larger crowds, not sure you will love it for only 7-8...

1 point for every player you outlast (if you win an 8 person tournament you get 7 points)

Then we award an "In The Money" bonus. That amount is a MULTIPLER to the points awarded above. It is paid out at a rate of the number of payouts PLUS 1. So if you pay out to 3 slots...the winner will have his points multiplied by 4, 2nd by 3 and 3rd by 2. No multiplier for 4-8th

Then we have a "Final Table" bonus that is equal to the number of players in the tournament that is awarded if you make the final table (we always have our final table a 9 players...so the top 9 get a bonus of the number of players). This is obviously irrelevant to your group of 8

So if you take the 1st two and ignore the "final table bonus" your structure (with 8 players) will look like this:

Winner - 7 points TIMES 4 = 28
2nd - 6 points TIMES 3 = 18
3rd - 5 points TIMES 2 = 15
4th = 4 (no "In the Money" multiplier)
5th = 3
6th = 2
7th = 1
9th = 0

Hope this helps.
Old 01-10-2007, 05:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]

3rd - 5 points TIMES 2 = 15

[/ QUOTE ]

and i thought i was bad at math
Old 01-10-2007, 08:50 PM

We have monthly tournaments, and then a year end championship event. After the championship event, we award a trophy to the player with the highest point total. I've never seen grown men get so serious about a cheap-ass trophy. It becomes much more important than the money.

Here's the points system we use, which seems to work pretty good and allows the cream to rise to the top over the 12-14 tourneys we'll play in a year:

2007 Points System:
12+ Players: 10 pts for win, 5 pts for 2nd, 3 pts for 3rd, and 1 pt for 4th
8-11 Players: 8 pts for win, 4 pts for 2nd, 1 pt for 3rd
7 or less players: 6 pts for win, 2 pts for 2nd
December Championship Event: 15 pts for win, 8 pts for 2nd, 5 pts for 3rd, 2pts for 4th

- Spike
Old 01-10-2007, 11:11 PM

Um...that didn't make me look to smart. I think he got the point though.

Thanks for the stats-check.