Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > News, Views, and Gossip
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-06-2006, 09:15 PM

Default Sports leagues come out against internet gambling

According to this article , the sports leagues are adding their voice to those who want to ban internet gambling. Here is an excerpt:

"The United States' major sports leagues are urging members of the U.S. House of Representatives to co-sponsor the Unlawful Internet Gambling Enforcement Act (H.R. 4411). Each representative received a letter this week signed by top officials from the National Football League, Major League Baseball, the National Basketball Association, the National Hockey League and the National Collegiate Athletic Association.

Introduced to the House by Rep. James Leach , R-Iowa, in November, H.R. 4411 is similar to past manifestations of I-gaming prohibition bills in that it seeks to prohibit online gambling among the American public by making it illegal to pay for such services using credit cards, wire transfers, or any other banking instruments.

The sports leagues say they support the bill because sports wagering threatens the character of team sports."
Old 02-06-2006, 09:26 PM

Default Re: Sports leagues come out against internet gambling

The sucessful ones are. The CFL all but embraced sportsbetting by getting in bed with Proline(3 banger juiced down game in Ontario). To be honest I would think the NHL would be all for gambling too, they need growth even if it's degenerates that know nothing about the sport........ [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/ooo.gif[/img]
Old 02-06-2006, 09:43 PM

Quite frankly, I think without sportsbetting interest in professional team sports declines by 50%.
Old 02-06-2006, 11:34 PM

Proxies... Neteller...

I'd love to see the attempt at banning online gambling.
Old 02-07-2006, 12:00 AM

I wonder why they are against internet gambling. They stated that it could affect the character of sports. But that's obviously a bunch of pr bull. The only reason corporations are for or against something is because it will ultimately affect them financially. So I wonder how internet gambling affects their profits. I don't know. Maybe they have something to gain from the way sports bets are taken offline and they want to keep it that way?
Old 02-07-2006, 12:30 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I wonder why they are against internet gambling. They stated that it could affect the character of sports.
The only reason corporations are for or against something is because it will ultimately affect them financially. So I wonder how internet gambling affects their profits. I don't know. Maybe they have something to gain from the way sports bets are taken offline and they want to keep it that way?

[/ QUOTE ]

Betting fans are not loyal zombies, so no brainwashing into buying the completely new jerseys that come out every 3 years, or buying overinflated tickets, and so on?

Maybe risk of gambling scams as well?
Old 02-07-2006, 01:04 AM

Ever heard of point-shaving?
Ever think that it makes it too easy for players in the sports to bet on the results of the games they are playing in?

Probably overreacting on the part of the leagues.
But sports are pretty paranoid of this stuff.
Because if the public thinks the games are compromised or tainted by outside betting influences then they have almost no value.

However, this situation is kind of worrysome. the backing of all the major sports leagues on such a bill sounds like a pretty significant boost to that movement imo.
Old 02-07-2006, 01:51 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Ever heard of point-shaving?
Ever think that it makes it too easy for players in the sports to bet on the results of the games they are playing in?

Probably overreacting on the part of the leagues.
But sports are pretty paranoid of this stuff.
Because if the public thinks the games are compromised or tainted by outside betting influences then they have almost no value.

[/ QUOTE ]

When will they realize that the only way points shaving scandals, etc. get found out are by the bookmakers?
Old 02-07-2006, 03:11 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Proxies... Neteller...

I'd love to see the attempt at banning online gambling.

[/ QUOTE ]
Drum roll please....
Old 02-07-2006, 04:06 AM

I agree, this is very worrysome. The 4 major sports leagues are not the types of opposition we need.