Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-08-2007, 08:01 PM

Default 5 way action, I flop top pair on monotone board from SB

Same table as this post , raiser is GOT (Guy On Tilt), the guy to my right is the same guy in the other hand too, in fact, we've butted heads a few times already. Thoughts on all streets please.

PokerStars 3/6 Hold'em (9 handed) Hand History Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: 2+2 Forums)

Preflop: Hero is SB with T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP1 raises</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, CO calls, Button calls, Hero calls, BB calls.

Wasn't sure about the call here. Getting 4 (prolly 5) to 1 with the intention of fitting or folding was close. If I hit the flop hard, I would have excellent relative position on pre-flop raiser. Does anyone fold here?

Flop: (10 SB) J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333"> Hero ???
Old 01-08-2007, 08:08 PM

Default Re: 5 way action, I flop top pair on monotone board from SB

I actually fold this preflop, but maybe it's a call (8.5-1.5?).

I would check/call the flop and call down after that if no heart comes. If you bet you might get a raiser with a flush draw to push out overcards but it seems like you aren't in that great shape on the flop and you need to fade a lot of cards. If you are HU after the flop, you could donk/call a safe turn card.
Old 01-08-2007, 08:18 PM

1. I fold preflop.

2. I don't really like any of the flop lines that much. Were it not monotone I like check-raising. I don't think the bet-into-pfraiser-to-induce-raise play is going to work here that often. I kind of would like to see a non- [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] turn. So I guess I'd go with check-call, donk-safe-turn (safe would be everything but a [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], A, or K I guess).
Old 01-08-2007, 08:35 PM

Folding was pretty close, I almost clicked it. I really thought I could hit paydirt if I flopped good, cause nobody was folding with any piece to GOT's bets.

The turn:

[ QUOTE ]
the bet-into-pfraiser-to-induce-raise play

[/ QUOTE ]

That was the play I went with. Primarily because about 2 hands prior, I had bet a turned str8 into a field and showed it down.
Old 01-09-2007, 10:10 AM

OK, so now I have donked the flop into PFR and 4 other opponents, expecting PFR to raise with overs and narrow the field, save for the lone A of hearts that may be out there.

Surprisingly, PFR folds, as does everyone save for the opponent on my right (whom I tangled with on this hand) and he just calls. The rest of the hand played out naturally (Turn was a black J and river was a brick, I value bet both and get called down by 77 (with a 7 of hearts).

The reason I donked this flop was to induce the raise from PFR, but also because I didn't want to overcall his continuation bet which would likely be called in at least 2 other spots. If I got raised anywhere but the PFR and there was any other action I would likely give up the hand, losing one extra SB.

I do agree that in most situations, there really isn't a "right" play to make on this monotone board, but given the 10sb in the pot, I wanted to give myself the biggest chance to either find out I was way behind or put pressure on overcards/single heart hands as soon as possible, and I wanted to make sure I knew what was going on for a SB.
Old 01-09-2007, 12:22 PM

fold pf. otherwise i c/c, donk a safe turn as deranged said.