Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Omaha/8
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-08-2007, 03:24 AM

Default First Post: .25/.50 LO8

I am new to Omaha/8 (coming from LHE) and I am still trying to get a feel for the game. I just played this hand and my biggest question is the turn. Should I raise it up or go for overcalls? Comments on all streets appreciated. My only read is the Button who was a loose calling station.

PokerStars 0.25/0.50 Omaha/8 (9 handed) Hand History Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: 2+2 Forums)

Preflop: Hero is MP2 with 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]. MP3 posts a blind of $0.25.
UTG calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, MP1 calls, Hero calls, MP3 (poster) checks, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Button calls, SB completes, BB checks.

Flop: (7 SB) 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(7 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>, BB calls, UTG calls, MP1 calls, Hero calls, MP3 folds, Button calls.

Turn: (6.50 BB) 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(6 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, UTG checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP1 bets</font>, Hero calls, Button calls, SB folds, BB folds, UTG folds.

River: (9.50 BB) 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
MP1 checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, Button calls, <font color="#CC3333">MP1 raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, Button calls, <font color="#CC3333">MP1 caps</font>, Hero calls, Button calls.

Final Pot: 21.50 BB
Old 01-08-2007, 04:21 AM

Default Re: First Post: .25/.50 LO8

[quote[my biggest question is the turn. Should I raise it up or go for overcalls?

[/ QUOTE ]James - It's very close. If SB had bet and gotten several calls, there would be no doubt that you should go ahead and raise. But with three checks and then a bet, if you raise, you'll make it two big bets to everyone and that's kind of steep.

But you should want it to be steep.

There's a small danger the bettor has the same wheel as you plus a six high straight. But you should brave that danger to protect your hand and to make it as expensive as possible for anyone who wants to try to draw out on you.

(A higher straight could become enabled on the river or the board could pair. Or one of your wheel cards could get counterfeited. You still will have the wheel, but others will be more likely to also have it if you get counterfeited on the river).

Thus I think raising on the third betting round is better than slow playing to try to suck in opponents with bad lows.

A wheel is not strong enough to slow play.

I like the way you played the other streets.

Buzz
Old 01-08-2007, 08:41 AM

You should go ahead and raise, since you're aren't getting action anyways from the 1 or probably 2 people that got counterfeited on turn.
Old 01-08-2007, 10:44 AM

Location: Here I am, brain the size of a planet and I can\'t beat the 2 cent O/8 game on UB. Depressing, isn\'t it?

At this limit, he should go ahead and fire away, they are going to call anyway so he should charge them the max.