Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Two Plus Two > Special Sklansky Forum
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-08-2007, 01:18 AM

Default Great Question From JCrew

I hate myself for not thinking of it first:

"If someone stole 100K from you and immediately distributed to some starving african village, would you try to get it back if it doesn't take that much effort?"

What makes this question different from some of my previous similar ones is that the money is already in those peoples hands and they are joyously expecting to use it for great good. So what would you do if that 100K was only a few percent of your bankroll?
Old 01-08-2007, 01:25 AM

Default Re: Great Question From JCrew

[ QUOTE ]
I hate myself for not thinking of it first:

"If someone stole 100K from you and immediately distributed to some starving african village, would you try to get it back if it doesn't take that much effort?"

What makes this question different from some of my previous similar ones is that the money is already in those peoples hands and they are joyously expecting to use it for great good. So what would you do if that 100K was only a few percent of your bankroll?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd be pssd because it cuts into the 10% of gross income that I give to good causes of my choice now, but if I actually thought it was a good end result I'd shrug it off. If I thought it was a waste ( and some of those situations could be) I may cut it back, but not likely.

luckyme
Old 01-08-2007, 01:26 AM

Yes, I would get it back. It belongs to me, not the starving Africans. If I had intended it to go to starving Africans, I have enough faculty about me to see it through to happening. Since I didn't make it happen, that means its mine to spend on whatever I want, even though what I spend it on might only benefit my own selfish ends.
Since it was in my BR and not distributed to the starving Africans, that means that I didn't intend for it to be there and I would get it back, even if it took great effort to do so.
Old 01-08-2007, 01:43 AM

You have alot of jerks reading your forums.
Old 01-08-2007, 01:50 AM

I've never, ever thought it was my responsibility to nanny anyone else. A lot of this has to do with my belief in philosophical equality (although not practical equality. Sadly, we aren't all "equal" no matter how much the "feelings based" western education system tries to collectively delude us into thinking so)

As an aside- Deep within every bleeding heart type lies a benign racist who believes that it is up to "us" (Read: White Westerners) to take care of various 3rd world peoples with our wealth and technologies because they're really incapable of doing anything for themselves. Even though they'd never use the word, they believe that these people are inferior.
Old 01-08-2007, 01:51 AM

Crew, to say that we are jerks because we think of ourselves, and those we care for before others that we dont know and will never know is ridiculous.
Old 01-08-2007, 02:09 AM

I like your moniker.
Old 01-08-2007, 02:12 AM

Yeah, I don't think there are too many people who would be like "donating 100K to starving African children never occured to me...thanks for stealing my money and doing something useful with it, dude."

Yes, I would try to get it back, and use one of the wrappers to bitch-slap my friend.
Old 01-08-2007, 02:12 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I hate myself for not thinking of it first...

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah and one would think that Charles Dickens would have thought of it too.
Old 01-08-2007, 02:16 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I like your moniker.

[/ QUOTE ]

hehe, appropriate eh