Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Two Plus Two > Special Sklansky Forum
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-07-2007, 11:20 PM

Default Elaborating On My \"No Opinion\" Stance

On another thread I claimed that I refuse to have an opinion on subjects I haven't studied or thought about deeply. Which distinguishes me from 95% of the population. Some might also contend that this attitude is sort of cowardly and/or needlessly "Spockish". In fact it seems almost inhuman not to have some sort of opinion.

And they are right. Of course I have an off the cuff opinion about many things. But I don't think it counts. And it is my gambling background that makes me feel this way. Because in my neck of the woods the only opinions that count are those that you are willing to bet on. Bet on, that is AFTER you know that someone is willing to bet the other way. If not money, then reputation. Just wanted to clear that up.
Old 01-07-2007, 11:36 PM

Default Re: Elaborating On My \"No Opinion\" Stance

thank you for the clarification, david.

it's a good thing not to have an opinion about topics one doesn't know much about.

the reason i was so irritated that you didn't have an opinion about the question in the other thread was, that i thought one would almost necessarily answer that moral question for himself while developing ones own ethics. i was wrong, obviously, but i am still surprised.
Old 01-07-2007, 11:38 PM

Couldn't agree more.
Old 01-07-2007, 11:44 PM

I only wish more people were like this.
Old 01-07-2007, 11:59 PM

Excellent post.
Old 01-08-2007, 12:39 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I made the mistake of driving to a conference ( 8 hr drive) with a person with virtually no opinion. Our conversations went like this, "whadya think about online gambling?"
"don't know much about it".
"how about global warming?"
"don't know much about it."
"The housing boom?"
" haven't looked into it."

long drive.

luckyme
Old 01-08-2007, 12:48 AM

Taking this purely objectivist stance is usually a result of being educated and knowledgeable of a particular topic where the majority of people hold an opinion on said topic that is wrong.

Once upon a time, I was a very active competitive target shooter. As such, I understood gun laws, relevant statistics, historical time lines and had a fairly cogent appreciation for the underlying philosophies that motivate the thinking on the issue. Now, that's an issue where EVERYONE has an opinion, and about 95% of them predicate their opinions on information that is completely incorrect.

As a result, I was perpetually enduring the frustrating and disgusting experience of having to 'argue' with otherwise bright people on an issue that they knew absolutely nothing about. That cemented my own MO regarding the issue of "opinions". If I don't understand something, I don't presume to speak with any authority on it. If I haven't looked into something or if it doesn't immediately offend against my own moral compass, I don't carry an opinion on it either way.

And I agree completely... It is definitely a 5% thing- maybe even less.
Old 01-08-2007, 12:48 AM

I have rarely seen David offer an opinion. (Actually, I can’t recall him ever directly stating one.) He often tosses out ideas to think about and respond to. Many of his posts seem to suggest his views on topics - and these might indeed be his views - but one should not assume such.

I like his style in that regard. I find in honest. It is especially suited for these forums, in my “opinion”.

I find opinions often a waste of time, as David seems to suggest in his OP. Also, they can be useless when they can’t change or solve anything - if they don’t or can’t affect anything. Listening to someone’s opinion or rendering an opinion in such contexts is similar to watching or yelling at the TV. It might be cathartic, but not very useful.

One final note to keep in mind (for those too young to have heard the “wise old saying”):

Opinions are like a..holes. Everyone* has one.

*Well, at least 95% of the population.
Old 01-08-2007, 01:00 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Taking this purely objectivist stance is usually a result of being educated and knowledgeable of a particular topic where the majority of people have an opinion that is wrong.

[/ QUOTE ]

Anyone with expertise in a field will run into the same issue. DS never claimed he didn't have an opinion he said ... "In fact it seems almost inhuman not to have some sort of opinion. And they are right. Of course I have an off the cuff opinion about many things." and mentioned betting on them is the only ones he counts.

When you ask people who express an opinion whether they'd like to bet X to Y on it, most will say "no, I'm not that sure, it's just how it looks from what I know so far" or some watering down.
I can't think of too many people I know that don't approach things like DS ( but it may be a selected for trait, I don't hang out with hardheads in general ), lots of non-betting opinions.

luckyme
Old 01-08-2007, 01:01 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I made the mistake of driving to a conference ( 8 hr drive) with a person with virtually no opinion. Our conversations went like this, "whadya think about online gambling?"
"don't know much about it".
"how about global warming?"
"don't know much about it."
"The housing boom?"
" haven't looked into it."

long drive.

luckyme

[/ QUOTE ]

Lucky,

My wife has this woman friend who will never give any opinion. Actually, she rarely makes even a statement. Her primary form of communication is the interrogative sentence.

She is a relatively shy person and not the brightest bulb on the tree. Using our two-bit psychology, we conclude she is very insecure.

Obviously, this is almost the opposite reason from David for not giving an opinion. But, I can empathize with what you went through.

RJT