Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid-High Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-07-2007, 07:05 PM

Default Thin valuebet

First hand at the table. Only have stats on villain and he is 46/17/1.5.

Bet the turn?

Party Poker 10/20 Hold'em (6 handed) Hand History Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: 2+2 Forums)

Preflop: Hero is BB with K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]. <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">SB raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, SB calls.

Flop: (6 SB) J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, SB calls.

Turn: (4 BB) Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
SB checks, Hero checks.

River: (4 BB) 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">SB raises</font>, Hero folds.

Final Pot: 7 BB
Old 01-07-2007, 07:19 PM

Default Re: Thin valuebet

awful valuebet...
Old 01-07-2007, 07:26 PM

Turn: I like your turn check as it may induce a bluff from a worse hand on the river. Also, the board has instantly become a lot more scary with the Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] falling, so your opponent is a lot more likely to have a real hand here that he can either call you with or check/raise you out of the pot with if you bet.

River: I'd rather check behind on the river. Your opponent will call with a lot more hands that beat you than he will with hands that you beat. You earn a bet when your opponent has an Ax hand that didn't catch a pair, but you'll get called by any pocket pair or hand that caught a pair on the board. With both the Q and J out there, I think the latter of these two options is a bit more likely than normal. Also, checking behind saves you the pot the rare times your opponent decides to check/raise bluff you after you showed weakness on the turn (I'm assuming you didn't call his raise.)

Just my opinion...
Old 01-07-2007, 07:41 PM

I think checking behind on the river is the superior option. When you beat the river on that board, villian is going to be calling with a wide range of hands there, and most of them if not all beat you.
Old 01-07-2007, 08:26 PM

I would definitely bet this turn. Since you 3bet preflop he will probably not dear semibluff-c/r that turn. Not saying I wouldn't, but I think that kind of player will be more scared of a preflop 3bet.
As for the river, I could go either way. You probably have the best hand here. Most pairs would have shown themselves at this point, But since he's probably bad he might have a pair, but by the same argument he's probably a showdown monkey, so it's probably close.