Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-07-2007, 01:58 PM

Default Question on a holdem tourny play, Should I have folded AK?

NLHE tourny at the SHowboat, 65 buy in. The blinds are about to go up to 500/1000. I have about 6k. An early position moves in for a little more than 6K. I put him on something like AJ or AQ. The player immediately to my right calls and I put him on a medium pair. I have AsKc. I called the bet for all my chips. The other hands were AQ and 99. I was very proud of my reads, but I am afraid I made a bad call. What do you guys think?
Old 01-07-2007, 02:08 PM

Default Re: Question on a holdem tourny play, Should I have folded AK?

You know how many were left in the thing at this point?
Old 01-07-2007, 02:10 PM

About 42 out of 50. Final six get paid.
Old 01-07-2007, 02:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I put him on something like AJ or AQ. The player immediately to my right calls and I put him on a medium pair.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why? What kind of hand reading is this? How do you know villain 2 doesnt have AA/KK AK?

When you are hand reading...you should be doing so with a range instead of wild guess. Villain 1 moves all in with what kinds of hands? 77+? AJ+, Villain 2 calls an all in with what? Probably better than that: 99+, AQ+ maybe. So your question is this:

Given these two completely arbitrary hand ranges how does your hand stack up? You are getting basically 2:1 on your call. Also consider that blinds will soon be going up to a point where I will be going all soon anyway.

I think a call is correct as we're a getting better odds with AK (at 2:1) vs most of both opponent's hand ranges. Really the only hands that scare us are AA and KK. Put it this way...if you knew that villain 1 had QQ and villain 2 had JJ, it would be a fold HU, but a call getting 2:1 when they both go all in.

When it comes to hand reading, please don't say "I put my opponent on AQ or AJ" without any reason...You will be much better off thinking in terms of ranges of hands.
Old 01-07-2007, 02:48 PM

I agree with the hand ranges in reading. I guess what I should have said was that based on the previous play of the villians and the body language etc, the best hand I put them on was AQ and a pocket pair. I did feel very cetain that at least one of my aces was dead and I was in a race with a pair. The first all in was the AQ (best) because I could tell he did not want a call from his actions at the table. The pocket pair was my assumption for the next guy becauase he had to have at least that to call, in my opinion, but he was not acting really strong. His actions while he was deliverating were those of someone who was considering whether he wanted to gamble. He also looked over at me to determine if I was going to play or not. These observations led me to the read that I made.
Old 01-07-2007, 05:26 PM

I think you have to call here. Your m is little more than 4 and you're getting 2-1 on your money with a good chance you are coinflipping or have one of them dominated. If you win this hand you have a chance for the rest of the tournament. If one of them happens to have aces then oh well, not your day but I suggest you get your money in here.
Old 01-07-2007, 08:41 PM

At this point you don't care what everyone has. If I'm in this spot I'm thinking "Aw u can eat baby" and the I say "ship it in". I don't care what everyone else has I'm ashovin.

EDIT: To clarify my point, we don't give a [censored] what everyone has, we're short stacked and shipping it all in.
Old 01-08-2007, 01:12 AM

Thanks for the input guys. FWIW, i did call and was at the taj 10 mins later playing stud.
Old 01-10-2007, 08:02 PM

I understand that you had position on the 2 villians, however, I do not agree at all with calling. I feel that even though the blinds are going up, it is not yet time for a final show down. (assuming a 15 min. blind structure at least). With AK off I like to be the first one in ( all limp then I go all in, or make a big raise first, or big re-raise). A hate calling all-in with AK off at the start of a tourney. In your situation, with an all-in and a call before your action for all of your chips, I would rather have 10-10, or 9-9. I have laid down AK in position before, when I am medium stacked. You have to be scared of the high pairs you could be up against, unless you know the other two players are donkeys. I would have dumped.
Old 01-11-2007, 05:07 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I understand that you had position on the 2 villians, however, I do not agree at all with calling. I feel that even though the blinds are going up, it is not yet time for a final show down. (assuming a 15 min. blind structure at least). With AK off I like to be the first one in ( all limp then I go all in, or make a big raise first, or big re-raise). A hate calling all-in with AK off at the start of a tourney. In your situation, with an all-in and a call before your action for all of your chips, I would rather have 10-10, or 9-9. I have laid down AK in position before, when I am medium stacked. You have to be scared of the high pairs you could be up against, unless you know the other two players are donkeys. I would have dumped.

[/ QUOTE ]

OP is shortstacked. You only call this with AA/KK? Thats weak. Shove this all day and twice on Sunday.