Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-07-2007, 12:17 AM

Default Ridiculously good Jeet Kune Do guy

Here

My Sifu sent it to me, so I thought I would share it with you. Spare me the "he would get pwnt by Crocop" comments. Everyone already knows that. If you don't think his moves would be useful on the street, you're nuts.
Old 01-07-2007, 01:47 AM

Default Re: Ridiculously good Jeet Kune Do guy

Is this a joke?

Show me a video of this guy doing those moves against a semi-competent person who is ACTIVELY RESISTING and I will take it seriously. Anybody can beat the [censored] out of someone who pauses for 3 seconds after intentionally missing a punch.

I don't dispute that the dude in the video could probably beat most people in a street fight. But that's more because the vast majority of people in street fights are drunk, dumb, untrained and out of shape.

Here's a hypo: You take two identical twins with absolutely no fight training and schedule them for a street fight exactly one year from now. Each of them is allowed to train 10 hours per week in whatever they want. I maintain that a twin who trains in a mixture of boxing and BJJ with an emphasis on active sparring would absolutely destroy the twin who trains in the choreographed BS that is shown in that video. Now I'm sure the dudes in that video train in stuff other than the glorified ballet that we just saw, but I seriously doubt whatever they do is the most effective way of training for a no rules street fight or limtied rules UFC style competition. Anyone who produces a video like that as evidence of their fighting prowess has absolutely no clue what it takes to win in a real fight.

The bottom line is that if somebody wants to give themselves the best shot of winning in an unarmed street fight per hour of training, they spend the majority of time practicing skills that work against actively resisting opponents and not dance partners.

And BTW, if you want to know what the most effective way of defending yourself on the street is, get a concealed weapons permit and work on your 100 meter dash time.
Old 01-07-2007, 03:06 AM

In the video the dummy villian is practically jumping in the air to make those throws look real. I've done Greco-Roman wrestling for four years and Ju-jitsu for half a year. None of those were real takedowns or throws and would never work against any opponent with any decent defense or sprawl. You can clearly see the villian jumping off for every one of those throws. A real takedown you lower you levels and drop your knee; this guy is standing the whole time. Also, in the video the guy is wincing in pretend pain and never throws a punch back. The striking is horrible; it's mostly just dancing. Where the hell is this guy's basic jab, cross, hook? It's nowhere to be found. The are dancing combos not boxing combos. I would love to see one of my thai boxing instructors get in the ring with that guy.

You have consistently shown your lack of knowledge about martial arts. There is no way this guy would be able to compete with a skilled MMA fighter of the same size. I'm not sure you have even studied any boxing or MMA fights? It's not even a close argument. I don't understand how you are so clueless.
Old 01-07-2007, 03:26 AM

I'm going to agree with goodsamaritan, that video was weak. I don't want to watch some Jean Claude Van damn movie. I want to see awesome stuff like:

Best K1 knockouts
Pride Fighting Knockouts
Fedor Highlights Subs From Hell

And other awesome stuff.
Old 01-07-2007, 04:52 AM

[ QUOTE ]
You have consistently shown your lack of knowledge about martial arts. There is no way this guy would be able to compete with a skilled MMA fighter of the same size. I'm not sure you have even studied any boxing or MMA fights?

[/ QUOTE ]

I watch a lot of MMA fights. My knowledge of MA is limited to the five months I've been practicing Jeet Kune Do, so I agree with you there. I'm sure a good MMA striker would beat the guy in the video, but I also think that Jeet Kune Do is street effective.
Old 01-07-2007, 01:06 PM

Tommy Carruthers would likely smack the hell out of the dude in the original video.
Old 01-07-2007, 02:09 PM

This looks a lot like when I play fight with my 7 year old son, cept he has better defense than the chump in the video.
Old 01-07-2007, 02:20 PM

That video was terrible. No resistance = no real life applicability. That guy was not only not resisting, but playing along. Why can't this guy put out a tape of him competing in an actual ring against someone who is resisting? That would show whether he is any good. You have 5 minutes of correographed fighting, with 0 minutes of real fighting.... Draw your own conclusions.
Old 01-07-2007, 09:35 PM

My conclusion was that, doh, it wasn't a fight? Or a sport fight? It was just an exhibition of some of the moves of this guy's interpretation of Jeet Kune Do. Being either full speed or terribly realistic doesn't look to be even close to the point, so it's a bit silly that people are getting down on the video for not accomplishing what it's not even trying to do in the first place.

I also think the repeated attacks against the OP are getting tiresome and foolish, and are good examples of how petty the martial arts and its followers are. Whenever I get pissed that boxing fans are such fickle clowns, I only have to read martial arts fans to feel a little better about them.
Old 01-07-2007, 10:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
My conclusion was that, doh, it wasn't a fight? Or a sport fight? It was just an exhibition of some of the moves of this guy's interpretation of Jeet Kune Do. Being either full speed or terribly realistic doesn't look to be even close to the point, so it's a bit silly that people are getting down on the video for not accomplishing what it's not even trying to do in the first place.

I also think the repeated attacks against the OP are getting tiresome and foolish, and are good examples of how petty the martial arts and its followers are. Whenever I get pissed that boxing fans are such fickle clowns, I only have to read martial arts fans to feel a little better about them.

[/ QUOTE ]

You are right that is was just an exhibition of the guy's style. But OP's post mentioned imply the moves would be useful on the street. I'm not saying they are not, but the video does not show the they are.