Old 01-06-2007, 05:42 PM

Default Ultimate Fight Night 8

1/25. Confirmed bouts:

-Nathan Marquardt vs. Dean Lister
-Rashad Evans vs. Sean Salmon
-Heath Herring vs. Jake O’Brien
-Hermes Franca vs. Spencer Fisher
-Ed Herman vs. Chris Price

Ugh. I appreciate the free viewings, but this card has suck written all over it.
Old 01-06-2007, 05:50 PM

Default Re: Ultimate Fight Night 8

actually, the card doesn't look so bad. Here you have Herring making his UFC debut and trying to get himself back into being a name again. Franca/Fisher should be a really fun fight to watch as both have great fights, and I'm looking forward seeing lister/marquardt(I always look forward to seeing lister). The evans fight will suck like all of his fights
Old 01-06-2007, 06:18 PM

i actually think this card has a ton of potential. lister/marquadt is going to be a fantastic fight. herring/o'brien are both 2nd tier hw's looking to get a bump. franca/fisher is going to be incredibly exciting...

for $0, you can't go wrong. it would have been disappointing if ed herman got on the main card over franca/fisher, as planned, thank god the powers that be realized how horrible of a decision that would be.
Old 01-06-2007, 07:00 PM

Yeah, I like it too for a free card. Wouldn't pay money for it though.
Old 01-06-2007, 07:22 PM

Franca-Fisher and Marquardt-Lister are very good fights
Old 01-08-2007, 11:18 AM

Marquardt-Lister is a pretty big name fight. Was going to be on PPV (and not on the undercard) of the Ortiz / Liddell II card but got pushed back to here, so that's definitely a PPV-quality fight we're getting for free. I'm a big fan of Lister so I'm excited to see that fight.

Salmon vs. Rashad is going to be more competitive than a lot of people expect...

disclaimer: we at UFCjunkie are sponsoring Sean Salmon for his three fight deal with the UFC.
Old 01-08-2007, 02:58 PM

I have to disagree, Lister is not a headline fighter.

Also, I was expecting more from UFCJunkie's major announcement than the sponsoring of a UFC rookie who's going to lose in a couple weeks. That's great for UFCJunkie and all, but doesn't do much for me the reader.
Old 01-08-2007, 03:06 PM

Not a headline fighter for sure. Wasn't trying to say that. Just trying to say this matchup is quality enough that it was going to be on the visible half of a pay per view card, so I think its pretty solid getting it free.

Sorry the announcement doesn't live up to your expectations, were you expecting another contest? We'll be back with more of those, with even better prizes... we just thought it was a pretty big deal, securing sponsorship of a young up and coming fighter - and exclusive interviews and content resulting from that deal - we thought it was a solid way to give back to the community, and wasn't something we'd seen often (MMA sites trying to directly help out the fighters).
Old 01-08-2007, 03:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Sorry the announcement doesn't live up to your expectations, were you expecting another contest? We'll be back with more of those, with even better prizes... we just thought it was a pretty big deal, securing sponsorship of a young up and coming fighter - and exclusive interviews and content resulting from that deal - we thought it was a solid way to give back to the community, and wasn't something we'd seen often (MMA sites trying to directly help out the fighters).

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm always glad to see companies sponsoring fighters who earn peanuts considering how hard they train and how fleeting MMA careers can be. But I agree that this announcement does not mean much from the reader's perspective unless Salmon beats Rashad, which I really hope he does, or at least puts up a good fight and doesnt get laid on for 15 minutes. But I'm worried that this fight will be a lot like Koscheck-Joslin
Old 01-08-2007, 03:32 PM

I guess Marquardt-Lister just seems a couple steps down from the last few UFN's highlighted by Diego-Riggs, Diego-Karo, Silva-Leben, etc.

Well my wife loved the Franklin pic so another contest would be great. Some fight worn gloves as a prize would be cool. Since they sponsor Salmon I guess they could easily get them from him.