Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-05-2007, 11:00 PM

Default top 2 pair. old lady fiires the turn. what should i do? and a hypothet

typical loose passive live 2/4. all the expected characters in attendance. two old men, an old lady, one young tag, two foreigners that play weird ass poker, two calling stations and me.
typically 5 to the flop and no pf raising.

I have 9s 10s on the button.

5 to the flop.

8 9 10 r

checked around. I bet. 2 folds. 2 calls.

turn 2c

old lady bets. 1 fold. I raise. old lady calls.

river 3s

old lady bets. I call and lose to the straight to the queen.

is this one of those hands where i'm lucky to get away losing as little as possible? or should I have folded?

change up, what percent of the time will someone flop a straight or a flush draw with 3 players preflop?

follow up, hypothetical situation; you're on the button with AKos and know that the four limpers all have suited connectors. is this a pf raise? or just call?
Old 01-05-2007, 11:19 PM

Default Re: top 2 pair. old lady fiires the turn. what should i do? and a hypothet

When it is heads up on the turn you could just call since you have outs against a made straight. That is if this 'old lady' is one who never bets without the nuts/virtual nuts. The only strong made hand you beat is 98.

Also, I think you should be inclined to button raise T9s against three limpers before AKo.
Old 01-06-2007, 02:44 PM

Default Re: top 2 pair. old lady fiires the turn. what should i do? and a hypo

A donk bet by a passive in a low limit live game is always 2 pair or better. I'm calling down UI and maybe even folding the river depending on the player. Also, I will raise any decent hands OTB in this kind of game, which includes pretty much any suited connectors, any PP, A9+, unsuited broadway connectors, etc. You have position and can fold or check if you don't hit.
Old 01-06-2007, 04:48 PM

thanks guys. when she fired I knew I nearly certain of a set or a straight. my new years resolution I to lay down top two tp made hands. that's a big leak for me.
Old 01-06-2007, 05:29 PM

Being stuborn about laying down top two pair is not a leak.When she donks the turn,you can be pretty sure that she's got a hand,but you've got to either raise her or call her down,depending on how likely you feel,based on your read on her,that you may have the best hand.
Old 01-06-2007, 05:53 PM

IMO you cannot fold these types of hands even against the nicest old ladies. AA KK QQ is another possibility which you beat. Raising on the turn or calling depends on the type of the old lady.