Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-05-2007, 09:24 AM

Default 180 pokerstars 20+2$ playing the bubble

THe villian was:
flop seen= 23.3%
raise preflop= 14.4%
(after 145 hands)

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t600 (7 handed) Hand History Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: 2+2 Forums)

CO (t4390)
Hero (t8690)
SB (t10141)
BB (t4490)
UTG (t10975)
MP1 (t22075)
MP2 (t13648)

Preflop: Hero is Button with K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, MP2 calls t600, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to t8640</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, MP2 calls t8040.

Flop: (t17580) A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>

Turn: (t17580) 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>

River: (t17580) 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>

Final Pot: t17580

I was 15/22 and 18 and up get the money.
have i done ir right?
Old 01-05-2007, 09:27 AM

Default Re: 180 pokerstars 20+2$ playing the bubble

Yes, very standard.
Old 01-05-2007, 09:28 AM

Not sure you have the push pre flop right.

Give it a good size raise, say around 1800/2400 and then push any flop would be a better move. I would fold to a re raise all in pre flop.
Old 01-05-2007, 09:40 AM

AC,

This seems far too tight for my thinking.

You are trying to fold into the money by taking this line, with the OP line you pick up 1400 and antes without a showdown, or you take a coin toss or better V MP3 who has AA/KK aproximately 0% of the time.

Seriously, just raising small gives you major headaches when the flop doesnt hit you and MP2 bets into you.

This is one of the cases that the reverse position rule applies.

Shove preflop, its the only move in town.
Old 01-05-2007, 09:59 AM

You guys have the 2 lines i have already in my head, its difficult decision anyway the flop come AKJ, so the right decision was FOLD. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
Old 01-05-2007, 10:15 AM

By your line of thinking
you hold AA preflop and lose to 88 you should have folded?
Old 01-05-2007, 10:55 AM

it was an ironic comment...
Old 01-05-2007, 12:25 PM

I prefer to stick in a 2-4x raise here. He just called from middle position. If he doesn't have anything, you can likely take the pot down there, without having to risk all your chips against a bigger stack. i'd like to get a sense of what kind of hand he's playing. I don't like the push move against a bigger stack without seeing a flop.

Now, if you think you're a weaker player then that person, and that you will get outplayed after the flop, then the push move isn't that bad with AK, because your guaranteeing yourself 5 cards, however if you think you can outplay them post flop, just stick in a nice raise.
Old 01-05-2007, 12:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
AC,

This seems far too tight for my thinking.

You are trying to fold into the money by taking this line, with the OP line you pick up 1400 and antes without a showdown, or you take a coin toss or better V MP3 who has AA/KK aproximately 0% of the time.

Seriously, just raising small gives you major headaches when the flop doesnt hit you and MP2 bets into you.

This is one of the cases that the reverse position rule applies.

Shove preflop, its the only move in town.

[/ QUOTE ]

When Opponent is seeing 23% of the Flops and raising 62% of the time when he does see one.........I can't get em in quick enough!

All In Baby! With a Humberto smile while pushin!
Old 01-05-2007, 12:42 PM

If you don't shove this hand, then you effectively become a very very short stack. At this time of the tourney, people are just trying to make it into the money, other than a few people who are attempting to get some chips.

I push here 99% of the time in this same situation, unless I have a huge stack and my opponent is someone else who has a huge stack. The only time I might not is if I have the 2nd stack and he has the top stack. In that case, I might just call and see how I sit after the flop and decide from there.

With 22 people left last night, I was the 17th stack or so, with about 6k chips. It was folded around to me in the cutoff and with AQ I raised 3x bb. My image at the time had to be very loose, because with 34 people left, I took a beat and was down to 1200 chips. I worked my way back up to 6k by going all in a bunch of times and taking down some hands after the flop. Never once did I show my hand, so I think the overall image of me was LAG. On this hand in question, after my raise, the bb repopped and pushed me all in. He was the only one at the table who, when I checked their stats, showed a nice profit in the database. So I did put him on a hand that he was comfortable pushing me with, but I figured if I didn't call, there was a good chance that I might not get another hand to put me into the money, much less give me a shot to take it down. If I called I also would have put myself up to about the 10th stack at the time, and pretty much on track to make it inside the money and to the final table. I called, and he showed AJ and unfortunetly a Jack came on the turn to knock me out. Before the hand, he had 9k chips, so if he lost that I would have crippled him to the point where he would have to be making several moves soon to stay alive

I think the same thing applies with you. If that person calls and loses, his stack takes a huge hit and he'll be needing to make some moves soon to stay around in the money. Not sure on your table image but my guess was that he either felt extremely confident in his hand, or he viewed your image as low.