Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-04-2007, 11:46 PM

Default Which should you trust more your head or your heart

The 15th annual great american think off question has been decided.

Entering the competition is easy. Just submit an essay of 750 words or less by April 1, 2007 (postmarked date). You may send your essay in one of three ways, if through the mail send to New York Mills Regional Cultural Center, P.O. Box 246, New York Mills, MN 56567 or email to nymills@kulcher.org (no attachments) or submit on-line. think-off.org

It's a chance to win a big $500 bucks if you are one of the 4 finalists. Seeing as you do it all for free, might as well give it a shot.

Previous ??? were

1993: "The Nature of Humankind: Inherently Good or Inherently Evil?"
1994: "Does Life Have Meaning?"

1995: "Money or Morality -- Which Does Society Value More?"

1996: "Does God Exist?
1997: "Is the Death Penalty Ethical in a Civilized Society?"
1998: "Is Honesty Always the Best Policy?"
1999: "Which is more Dangerous -- Science or Religion?"
2000: "Is Democracy Fair?"
2001: "Should assisted suicide be legal?"
2002: " Is the Pen Mightier than the Sword?
2003: " Do We Reap What We Sow?
2004: " Should Same Sex Marriages be Prohibited?
2005: Competition or Cooperation: Which benefits society more?
2006: FREEDOM or SAFETY is More Valuable to Society.
Old 01-04-2007, 11:54 PM

Default Re: Which should you trust more your head or your heart

[ QUOTE ]
The 15th annual great american think off question has been decided.

Entering the competition is easy. Just submit an essay of 750 words or less by April 1, 2007 (postmarked date). You may send your essay in one of three ways, if through the mail send to New York Mills Regional Cultural Center, P.O. Box 246, New York Mills, MN 56567 or email to nymills@kulcher.org (no attachments) or submit on-line. think-off.org

It's a chance to win a big $500 bucks if you are one of the 4 finalists. Seeing as you do it all for free, might as well give it a shot.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is like the worst question I've ever heard. What exactly is this competition for? Now I am intrigued.
Old 01-04-2007, 11:55 PM

Oh, and I heard a rumor about next years question. I'll let you guys in on it if you promise to keep it a secret. Ok? Ok.

"Are cliches lame?"
Old 01-05-2007, 12:02 AM

Ok, I am officially boycotting this competition. Here is the summary of the 1999 competition:

1999: "Which is more Dangerous -- Science or Religion?" The 1999 Think-Off received essays from contestants in Pakistan, Denmark, Argentina and all over the United States. Mark Friestad, a social studies teacher from North Dakota, won the final debate arguing that science is more dangerous because people often accept it blindly without question.

And in 1996:

1996: "Does God Exist?" The 1996 Think-Off received over 700 entries from throughout the U.S. After an engaging debate, the audience vote (with many abstentions) decided that God does exist.
Old 01-05-2007, 12:04 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Ok, I am officially boycotting this competition. Here is the summary of the 1999 competition:

1999: "Which is more Dangerous -- Science or Religion?" The 1999 Think-Off received essays from contestants in Pakistan, Denmark, Argentina and all over the United States. Mark Friestad, a social studies teacher from North Dakota, won the final debate arguing that science is more dangerous because people often accept it blindly without question.

And in 1996:

1996: "Does God Exist?" The 1996 Think-Off received over 700 entries from throughout the U.S. After an engaging debate, the audience vote (with many abstentions) decided that God does exist.

[/ QUOTE ]The "winner" is decided by the audience, I believe. However freedom won out over safety, so it's not all bad.
Old 01-05-2007, 12:06 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Oh, and I heard a rumor about next years question. I'll let you guys in on it if you promise to keep it a secret. Ok? Ok.

"Are cliches lame?"

[/ QUOTE ]

Beat me to the punch. Is this one where we have to choose one side, or are sane answers like "neither, they have different roles" acceptable? No, it looks like it's one or the other.

Still, 750 words by April? I guess there's no harm. Maybe we can all post our essays here. The majority seem to be voting "head." I wonder which I should go for...

It would be pretty cool to have a parade in my honor, though. I wish they'd just skip the parade and give more money.
Old 01-05-2007, 12:07 AM

[ QUOTE ]

And in 1996:

[/ QUOTE ]

I suppose I'll be arguing for... heart.
Old 01-05-2007, 12:10 AM

Hey, the writing isn't that great. How about a better idea than a boycott - let's see if we can get multiple 2+2ers into the final four?
Old 01-05-2007, 12:12 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

And in 1996:

[/ QUOTE ]

I suppose I'll be arguing for... heart.

[/ QUOTE ]

A wise decision, sir.
Old 01-05-2007, 12:13 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Hey, the writing isn't that great. How about a better idea than a boycott - let's see if we can get multiple 2+2ers into the final four?

[/ QUOTE ]

Fine, but whatever side you pick, I'll have to argue the other. But there are many posters on here I think would do a far better job than I would. College kid was a pretty persuasive writing style, for instance.