Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Video Games
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-04-2007, 06:04 PM

Default post your most obsessive mmog story

like, the stories you can't tell your non-gamer friends/family because they would have forced you into psychiatric care.

i spent 63 straight hours playing eq in sebilis crypt grinding from 58-60 because we had a great AE group and i couldn't bare to leave. i eventually fell asleep at the computer, one of my groupmates had me /killed by a gm so they could replace me.
Old 01-04-2007, 06:10 PM

Default Re: post your most obsessive mmog story

Haha, the Sebilis crypt. I remember spending many long hours there chasing the elusive drops from the named mobs (though never more than twelve or so hours at a time).

The worst would probably be camping for the damn cleric Epic (the piece with the red dragon, Ragefire?) for a guildmate; the guild was there in shifts for a week or so keeping the camp clear and claiming it. I hated EQ at that point =)

Swede
Old 01-04-2007, 06:17 PM

The worst thing was camping Raster in Lower Guk for my monk's epic piece. OMG what a horrible long camp it was. I believe my total hours camped was close to 30 hours (over different days) with the last session being a 16 hour session in which he finally popped. For the first few hours friends would come down and hang out for me...after that they would just laugh at me in guildchat while I stayed stuck in that little area killing frogs and answering 'Raster' every 15 mins as people would come in doing camp checks. I helped out a lot of guildies work on their epics...but this camp was the worst.
Old 01-04-2007, 06:21 PM

i gave up on the cleric epic. i had it finished up until ragefire, but never bothered to do that camp. i had the mace off of feesh which had better stats anyways.
Old 01-04-2007, 06:23 PM

eh, I can't compete with that for length.

I remember when I was in college, I would play Diablo 2 from the time I got home until class the next day. I did that for about a week straight. Thank goodness for breaks between classes so I could get some sleep and not be completely insane. I did eventually flip out on someone over nothing. Then my roommate got me to stop for a while.
Old 01-05-2007, 12:26 AM

World Of Warcraft, nuff said
Old 01-05-2007, 06:13 AM

Aaah the good old days of Seb, I spent 2 months there trying to get Sunstrike, and this is well after I needed to be in Seb.

I also did 22hrs straight at the Jboots camp, only to have my buddy roll a 16, to which I rolled an 8.
Old 01-05-2007, 08:18 AM

Nothing much obsessive session wise, but the time span my most obsessive project took was very long.

Once upon a time... on a server of UO, my brother and I had our base of operations in a tower to the east of Brit, close to the swamps, which we placed there being the first people at the time.
Fast forward a few months, and the guild we formed had by then grown to be the 3rd or 4th biggest on the server at the time and we have donated the tower to use it as its head quarters. Needless to say, that with about 120 members things got slightly packed.
All land around the tower was occupied by others by then, except for two smaller buildings which we owned; shops to sell off the loot we got from hunting PKs.

It was then, that we decided to try and place a castle there (a prestige thing, space wise castles sucked). This meant we had to try and buy the houses from our neighbors to free up enough land to place it.
Some neighbors were reluctant to give up their lots, so we tried to "encourage" them to sell it to us for a fair dime. First, by making really lucrative offers, later by, well, let's call it "other means".

It took us countless hours gathering the gold for the houses, many, many hours of negotiating prices. Even more time spent to find "relocation homes" for those who were hard to satisfy and were afraid they wouldn't be able to find a new spot to place a home.
Last but not least, it took a 3 month marathon camping session in shifts (easily done with 20-30 very well trained PVPers taking turns) to wait for the still unwilling-to-sell neighbors at their homes to have a "chat" to encourage them to sell.

I think it took a good half a year until we finally have taken over almost all land around us and were able to place a castle, three towers, and some other bigger homes for all the higher ranked members of the guild.

Nothing really like 24h marathon playing, but the time and effort put into that project was tremendous.