Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-03-2007, 08:50 PM

Default Young Beginning Player Searching

I would like to start off that I'm only 17 years old and have started learning about NL Hold'em for about 5 months now. I've read Getting Started in Holdem, and I am starting Super System with Theory of Poker and NL Hold'em: Theory and Practice following after.

I am currently looking for a site that I can deposit money on and help make me a better player, but I don't want to consistently lose.

I've also played in 2 live tournaments in which I went out with AA and QQ on and feel that I'm better than the average donkey.

Sorry for and misspellings or ignorant questions in advance.
Old 01-04-2007, 12:32 AM

Default Re: Young Beginning Player Searching

Welcome to the forums.

Honestly, I can't recommend a 17 year-old start playing poker. However, I doubt you agree, so we'll forge ahead.

As for books, forget Super System. You'll learn very little there that will help you with your NL game. And, while Theory Of Poker is an important book, you probably won't get much out of it at this point. Read the Sklansky/Miller book.

I don't know of sites that will knowingly take players under 18 years old, but I suppose there are some.

As for your live tournament losses, those are irrelevant. There is a good chance you are better than players you'll commonly find, but only time will tell.

Good luck.
Old 01-04-2007, 02:03 AM

What kind of bankroll do you have? What kind of stakes do you want to play?

[ QUOTE ]

I am currently looking for a site that I can deposit money on and help make me a better player, but I don't want to consistently lose.

[/ QUOTE ]

You sound intelligent, but this statement concerns me. Playing online, you are going to see alot more hands than you would at a real poker room, or home game. You're going to start thinking online poker is rigged and then start posting your reasonings why. You're probably going to lose a little bit until you can adjust. Everyone loses sometimes, but if you have the passion for the game and are willing to study it, you will do just fine. Consistently losing will only come from your lack of playing and studying. You have to be willing to take the bad beats with a grain of salt, and you have to be willing to leave your ego at the door. Have high goals, but keep your expectations in check.

Another thing, go to college, get a degree. Don't get a tattoo related to poker, and don't get a license plate customized with some random poker phrase/word.

Good Luck!

I don't normally post in this forum, but I feel like typing.
Old 01-04-2007, 02:13 AM

I usually play at 5/10, but i am able to play at the 10/25(I believe thats it)as well. I consider myself a better tournament player though.

The maximum deposit I can probably go for right now would be 500$ right now as I do have another job.

I plan on owning my own Sports Collectible store in several years as well.

It is most likely a bad idea for me to play, but my brother got me into it a little bit and I have an addictive and competive personality as well. Not a good combo.

And thanks for the encouraging posts.
Old 01-04-2007, 12:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]

It is most likely a bad idea for me to play, but my brother got me into it a little bit and I have an addictive and competive personality as well. Not a good combo.

[/ QUOTE ]

You sound like an intelligent person who is capable of self-appraisal, and that's very encouraging. However, the addictive/competitive part is worrisome.

Those two traits can really hurt you as they can lead easily to tilting. If you are going to play, don't play very high until you learn how you will react.

For some insight into how these traits can affect your play, please check out the Psychology forum. There are many cautionary tales there.
Old 01-04-2007, 05:13 PM

Once again, thanks for the advice.

Every once in a while I'll play on a FT Freeroll and I do get extremely frustrated with the way things happen. Very early in a NL tourney, this person across the table pushed what seemed like everyhand. One time I saw I had TT and called and saw I was way ahead. He had 75s where he flopped a 5, turn a blank, then rivered a 7.

I knew that I wasn't that far ahead preflop, but it tilts me to see someone catch their miracle especially if I play very solid for an entire tournament and finish on the bubble.

I believe I now have a way to deposit some money onto an Online Account thanks to my brother,but unsure of which site to at least play on.

I'm currently a mostly tournament person (1$ to 6$)and don't really like Full Tilt that much.

Where would be the best place to mostly play to get better and not lose too much money.

Thanks in advance.
Old 01-04-2007, 06:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Where would be the best place to mostly play to get better and not lose too much money.

[/ QUOTE ]

I would guess PokerStars would be the best since you can play nano-stakes. Good luck.
Old 01-05-2007, 01:20 AM

Guys,

Mr Hobo is my brother. I've let him play small amounts online. The first night I let him play a cash games at the .5/.10 level and watched him make about 50 dollars with me helping of course. Since then he has this image painted in his head that Full Tilt has turned his doom switch on. We all know luck is apart of poker and he thinks that his luck will be different on another site. I've had him read these books as it was books that a friend and I read when we started. Its helped me more than anything. The thing he needs to hear most is that no matter what happens there will be bad beats at every site. Thanks for the encouragement you guys have given him thus far though.

X
Old 01-05-2007, 03:29 AM

I'm about the same age as you, and I may or may not have played online in the past while still under 18 years old. No site allows it, but if you use your parents name it works fine.

Listen to your older bro, he seems to know what he's talking about. Bad beats will happen no matter what site you play on. If all of your losses are bad beats that's a GOOD THING. You should choose a site based on what kind of games, limits, player abilities, and bonuses they have.

BTW, you said that you usually play 5/10 to 10/25 NL? Is this live? If so, you should realize that these limits will be much tougher online.
Old 01-05-2007, 05:06 AM

[ QUOTE ]
If all of your losses are bad beats that's a GOOD THING.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, sure, as long as you're playing in a game where the ideal bluffing frequency is zero. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Fortunately that's pretty much the case at nano-stakes hold 'em.