Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-03-2007, 06:18 AM

Default 1/2 stars deep

ok, ive been spewing on the river recently, people dont seem to be value betting as thin as i thought. anyways, im not sure if im getting paranoid on the river (in general). I think this is easier than some other situations, but i just wanted to make sure this fold is standard, since im playing like ass of late.

villain was aggro enough, but it didnt feel like he would slowplay a set this deep. also, my table image in incredibly [censored] as i had tilted of a few buy ins earlier, and i think most people see me as bluffy and spewy.

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em, $2 BB (4 handed) Hand History Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: 2+2 Forums)

Hero ($410.65)
SB ($212.95)
BB ($371.55)
UTG ($198.65)

Preflop: Hero is Button with 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $8</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, BB calls $6.

Flop: ($17) Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $14</font>, BB calls $14.

Turn: ($45) T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
BB checks, Hero checks.

River: ($45) 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">BB bets $32</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $106</font>, <font color="#CC3333">BB raises to $349.55</font>, Hero folds.
Old 01-03-2007, 06:25 AM

Default Re: 1/2 stars deep

People seeing you as bluffy and spewey may make them push you on the river in spots like this if they have no hand. Villain either has nothing or has you beat - well ahead or well behind.

Based on the fact that the pot is $500 and it's $240 to go for you, you're looking at close enough to needing to be right one time in three... I'm therefore calling here, given my image.

However, trusting your reads is pretty important, though I MUCH prefer trusting my read when it says "call", simply because you get feedback on whether you're right or not.

My new years resolution is "fold more". Sigh.
Old 01-03-2007, 06:31 AM

I alternated between puke and nice fold here for a while. I think it sorta depends on who villian is, ie - if they can shove 2 pair or air here(your line looks pretty FOS, so a river bluff 3 bet isn't horrendous). If people think you are tilting though, they can't think your gonna fold, so I think this is a fold. But its nasty to make
Old 01-03-2007, 07:20 AM

yeah, i basically went through the same line of thought... i knew my hand didnt look like anything really strong, only problem being that i had maybe 50 hands on villain, so it was tough to have any really good read. i usually give people too much credit i think when determining if they are actually taking time to figure out what i have, this may be a problem as it convinces me to call too many river bets (i too plan to cut down on that sciolist). anyways, i actually called this and was shown the j9 gutshot... in hindsight i dont even know if he considered what hand range i was on. oh well, id like to think he pushes 2 pair enough here that its +EV, but 200 players are nits, who knows.