Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Omaha High
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-02-2007, 05:00 PM

Default preflop hands

All the books and articles I read say only play hands when all 4 cards work together. Many posts on this forum have starting hands where only 3 cards work together. I'm assuming on the whole that players here know what they are doing so why the discrepancy? Also on full ring what is a sensible % of hands to see the flop?
Old 01-02-2007, 07:16 PM

Default Re: preflop hands

The point of having hands that coordinate well is that they play well post-flop. Many times this is possible even when only 3 cards work together. For example, AKQ4 is a playable hand, but keep in mind that other factors come into play as well such as position, whether or not the pot is raised, etc. Most books are talking about the ideal hands that you will definitely want to play. You will also play many other hands depending on different factors. As far as % of hands, significantly less than the table average if you are playing full ring. I play 6 max and see about 24% of flops, so I would think full ring would be around 20% or so. Perhaps someone with more full-ring experience can comment on this more accurately.
Old 01-02-2007, 11:23 PM

My quick and dirty rules:

AAxx
KKxx
QQxx
2 pair
2 suited connectors
4 cards higher then a 10
4 cards in a row
Suited Ace w/ 2 other cards that work together
Old 01-03-2007, 01:16 AM

It's OK to occasionally play a hand with a dangler, like KQJ5 if the low card is suited to one of the other cards and you are on or near the button in an unraised pot, and you don't blow a lot of dough on a weak draw especially multiway when some of your straight draws are likely splitting. However if you always fold them on a FR or 6-max table when not getting a free play in the bb you aren't losing much if anything, because they can be trap hands where other better coordinated ones are freerolling on you with the same 2 pair or better draws.
Old 01-03-2007, 01:41 AM

I think 24% is way too low for short ring.
With that flop% you kill most of your action against players who are paying attention and although it probably wont loose you money, it brings it in damn slowly..
(lol, I think we play at the same level, and I do have a note on you that says tight ass mf)

IŽd say 40 would be fine for short ring, and 24 to full ring, depending on the table of course. In maniac short ring tables its best to play with a 0 flop% [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img], if youre not used to pf mayhem.
Old 01-03-2007, 07:46 AM

[ QUOTE ]

AAxx
KKxx
QQxx
2 pair
2 suited connectors
4 cards higher then a 10
4 cards in a row

[/ QUOTE ]

Loosening up here a bit, I would add
JJxx
TTxx
(maybe maybe 99xx very late if it has something else going for it)
4 cards higher than a 9 in late position (with at least one suit)

I would modify the suited ace thing. Any suited ace in loose passive game when avg 4-5 people see any flop and they play too aggro/poorly post flop.
In a reasonably tough game, I don't like an Ace hand with the other 3 cards down low, i.e. A652 suited I would throw away in a tougher game.
Old 01-03-2007, 08:18 AM

[ QUOTE ]

AAxx
KKxx
QQxx
2 pair
2 suited connectors
4 cards higher then a 10
4 cards in a row

[/ QUOTE ]

My only beef is with two pair hands. Hands like 7744 are, in the long run, not worth calling preflop purely for set value.