Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Computer Technical Help
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-01-2007, 03:22 PM

Default Virus and spyware scanning

I've been using AVG, which is now telling me it's no longer free, or will no longer update, or whatever, and I also suspect it's been crashing my e-mail software.

I'm also using Windows Defender, and of course, Firefox claims to stop everything anyway.

And I've used some of the other spyware programs from time to time, like adaware and some I don't even remember.

Problem is, all these things want to stack on top of each other and run all the time, which I'm thinking may be overkill.

Is there no one program that handles virus and spyware scanning for the net, e-mail, and can also run every night to check everything on the hard drive?

How many of these separate things do I really need, and which ones should I actually be using?
Old 01-01-2007, 07:22 PM

Default Re: Virus and spyware scanning

On Kim Komondo she stated that AVG is going to have a new free version coming out. check www.komondo.com or the AVG site.

You only need one virus scan, but you can use multiple ad/spyware programs. Not all of them catch all things.

There are also sites like Panda and PestPatrol where you can do free online scans.
Old 01-03-2007, 01:44 AM

Default Re: Virus and spyware scanning

[ QUOTE ]
On Kim Komondo she stated that AVG is going to have a new free version coming out. check www.komondo.com or the AVG site.

[/ QUOTE ]It's www.komando.com

And yes, it's still free. They are just no longer supporting version 7.1 after sometime this month. Just upgrade to Version 7.5