Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-31-2006, 03:36 AM

Default Now What?

I post this in this forum because there are a lot of math/science focused people here -

The 10 cent tour -

Fifteen years ago, as an 18 year old, I was convicted of two counts of burglary and did four years in prison. When I got out, while working, I received a physics degree, with an emphasis in astronomy, at a major university.

My quandry is, what now? I am fortunate to have the job I have now. I work for a mid-sized firm in the technology field that didn't happen to do a background check. But I want to work in science. Actually, I would like to pursue a masters or even a PHD in cosmology. My concern is, am I even employable in this field with a felony conviction? Does the passage of time lesson the ramifications? Could I even teach? Any research position?

I have certainly turned my life around but I know I'll never work at NASA. Is there hope elsewhere?

I guess my question; is a graduate degree going to be worth the effort beyond personal satisfaction?

I don't know why the hell I am posting this here as I suspect that part of my crime is the stigma that I must carry as a convicted felon.
Old 12-31-2006, 03:50 AM

Default Re: Now What?

My opinion is totally worthless here, but i'll give it anyway [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img].
I would actually think that the barriers would be less in academia than in private companies. Again though...i'm talking out of my ass on this one. There may be trouble with grants or something...

Hopefully someone here will give you a better response, but if not, I would ask some of your prior professors, college guidance counselors, that sort of thing.

BTW...nice to hear that this happens sometimes (prison then a degree...). Also, 4 years for burglary at 18 is nuts (unless you were doing something vile or multiple offender or something...who knows...).
Old 12-31-2006, 04:06 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Hopefully someone here will give you a better response, but if not, I would ask some of your prior professors, college guidance counselors, that sort of thing.

[/ QUOTE ]

I am actually reluctant to ask them. I never speak to anyone about it and rarely think about it myself. I suppose I should just be thankful things have worked out the way they have. I draw a good salary at a good company and got lucky to get this job. I just know that I was destined for something far greater and may have screwed it up with a poor decision as a young man.
[ QUOTE ]

Also, 4 years for burglary at 18 is nuts (unless you were doing something vile or multiple offender or something...who knows...).

[/ QUOTE ]

Nothing vile. I turned down a plea bargain for probation (another dumb decision) and went to trial and lost. I was given a stiff sentence for 'not playing ball'. I was never in touble before and have not been in trouble since.

Thanks for the response.
Old 12-31-2006, 04:37 AM

It's a longshot, but definitely worth talking to a top-notch criminal attorney to see if there is any way you can get this record expunged. You'd be surprised what a good attorney can sometimes get accomplished. Ask around to find out who's the best. It might take some money, but it's worth it.

The other thing is, find out up front what kind of background checks a company you're applying to does. It's good you slipped through this time, but I wouldn't take the chance again. Some companies might find lying worse than a 15 year record when you were 18.

Btw- I was in the same boat. I was convicted of a federal felony when I was exactly 18. By my thirties, I had completely turned my life. I was married, a father, a good provider, and a successful business owner. While employment wasn't an issue for me, it bugged the heck out of me that I couldn't even vote! Like you, I felt I was a completely different person than when I was 18. It seemed like an entire lifetime ago! It took some work, but I was finally able to get it expunged. Good luck to you!
Old 01-01-2007, 11:12 PM

nowwhat,

You might love cosmology. And you may be a genius in cosmology.

If you blog cosmology, you might get some excellent results. For example, you might attract some readers who also love cosmology, or even some thought-leader geniuses. Maybe some of them decide to link to your writing, or post comments on your blog.

You might be able to turn the felony into something trivial in the opinion of important cosmology people who respect your thinking.

Maybe thinking NASA is thinking too small.
Old 01-02-2007, 01:51 AM

Governors have the power to issue pardons for crimes commited within their state. Talk to your voting district's State Representative and State Senator. If they don't seem helpful, write your Governor. g/l