Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Business, Finance, and Investing
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-30-2006, 08:55 PM

Default Quick Blog Questions

I'm getting ready to launch a poker blog. Making money is not one of my primary goals, especially not in the short term, but I want to keep my options open. I'm thinking of using blogspot in order to get it off the ground quickly and easily, but I've got a few questions about that:

1. How easy will it be to shift all of my content onto my own site if I decide to buy the domain name and server space and such?

2. Are there other complications such as losing traffic as a result of a domain name change, etc. of which I should be aware?

3. I know that I can use AdSense on BlogSpot, but are there drawbacks to doing this rather than owning the site myself? Do they take a cut? Are there other money-making options that I wouldn't be able to use on BlogSpot?

4. Um, anything else I should be thinking about?

Thanks much!
Old 12-30-2006, 09:12 PM

Default Re: Quick Blog Questions

[ QUOTE ]
I'm getting ready to launch a poker blog. Making money is not one of my primary goals, especially not in the short term, but I want to keep my options open. I'm thinking of using blogspot in order to get it off the ground quickly and easily, but I've got a few questions about that:

1. How easy will it be to shift all of my content onto my own site if I decide to buy the domain name and server space and such?

[/ QUOTE ]
a moderate PITA
[ QUOTE ]

2. Are there other complications such as losing traffic as a result of a domain name change, etc. of which I should be aware?

[/ QUOTE ]
i would go for a permanent redirect, if blogspot has this as an option. I don't think they have this as an option. This is bad if they don't.
[ QUOTE ]

3. I know that I can use AdSense on BlogSpot, but are there drawbacks to doing this rather than owning the site myself? Do they take a cut? Are there other money-making options that I wouldn't be able to use on BlogSpot?

[/ QUOTE ]
they don't get a cut. it is your site.
Old 12-30-2006, 10:52 PM

You can redirect w/ blogspot but its not a server side 301 redirect. You would have to put a piece of code in the head. Google often frowns upon this type of redirect.

If you plan on having the blog long term, its a small expense to buy a domain and then find cheap hosting.

Don't worry about making money on the blog.
Add new content at least once a day. Two or more times a day is better.
Learn how to increase your page rank, traffic, and how to promote your blog.
Then add more content.

When you have a page rank and hopefully quite a few visitors, try out adsense and pay per post. If you are not interested in pay per post, you shouldn't worry as much about page rank.
Old 12-31-2006, 01:04 AM

When you get your own domain, blogspot can upload directly to your FTP. You use their site to type your entries just like you do with a blahblah.blogspot.com address, but they end up on your server under your domain name.
Old 12-31-2006, 02:35 AM

[ QUOTE ]
When you get your own domain, blogspot can upload directly to your FTP. You use their site to type your entries just like you do with a blahblah.blogspot.com address, but they end up on your server under your domain name.

[/ QUOTE ]

Correct. But if you switch an existing blog from blogspot to a different domain, the blogspot subdomain is released. You would then have to create a new blog using the subdomain and let everyone know that the old blog has moved and redirect them.
Old 12-31-2006, 02:40 AM

Why not just start w/ the domain name? It's only like $8/year, and you can find hosting real cheap.
Old 12-31-2006, 04:58 AM

I agree, the best option is to go with your own domain. Blogspot makes it easy, but you get flexibility when you setup your own wordpress blog on your own domain.
Old 12-31-2006, 01:00 PM

the only advantage i see with blogspot is ease of use, and a domain that has been registered for some time (better for search engine rankings)
Old 12-31-2006, 01:56 PM

Go with your own domain. If you really don't want to pay for hosting (really not that expensive), you can just use domain forwarding and point your domain at a blogspot site.

If you're just running a blog, I've got a really cheap host I'm allowed to resell off of. PM me if you're interested.
Old 01-04-2007, 02:00 AM

here is a cheap host
$1 a month has C panel and fantastico, looks good I may try it myself

http://www.3ix.com/

looks interesting and cheap [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]