Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Omaha/8
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-30-2006, 05:59 PM

Default 2/4 LO8: Facing a raise on the flop

Both aren't good players. Button is pretyt loose but not very aggro post. UTG+2 is very loose and aggro but haven't seen him 3bet.
Is this a call?

Poker Stars
Limit Omaha Ring game
Limit: $2/$4
10 players
Converter

Pre-flop: (10 players) Hero is SB with 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
UTG folds, UTG+1 calls, <font color="#cc0000">UTG+2 raises</font>, 3 folds, CO calls, Button calls, Hero calls, BB calls, UTG+1 calls.

Flop: 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] (12SB, 6 players)
Hero checks, BB checks, UTG+1 checks, <font color="#cc0000">UTG+2 bets</font>, CO folds, <font color="#cc0000">Button raises</font>, Hero ?
Old 12-30-2006, 08:44 PM

Default Re: 2/4 LO8: Facing a raise on the flop

Call, maybe even rr.
Old 12-31-2006, 12:16 AM

3betting this is really bad imo, but it might be ok if you were on the button so you could take a free card on the turn if you don't hit your low.

The only possible reason to 3bet is to fold out another A2 and that just isn't going to happen at 2/4 game, so why waste your money. You want as many people in to give you better odds and to minimize the effects of getting quartered (which is more likely since the pot was raised preflop)
Old 12-31-2006, 04:27 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Is this a call?

[/ QUOTE ]Gambler - Yes.

[ QUOTE ]
Hero checks, BB checks, UTG+1 checks, UTG+2 bets, CO folds, Button raises, Hero ?

[/ QUOTE ]Hero could have bet this flop. I much prefer betting this flop to check-calling.

Hard to say what UTG+2 has for the pre-flop raise. Could be A3XY. Could be A2XY. Could be AAXY. Could be all high cards. Could be all low cards. Could be something else.

And the follow up bet by UTG+2 on the flop doesn't mean anything specifically. Could be A3XY, Could be A2XY. Could be something else.

Button's flop raise looks a lot like a three. Could be he just wants to get one-on-one with UTG+2. Could be he thinks he's playing Texas hold 'em.

At any rate, even though Hero is only realistically playing for half the pot (although a scoop is not impossible), Hero should continue here, but considering the possibility of getting quartered, a raise is not in order. A raise from Hero just might scare out anyone without A2XY, A3XY, 33XY, 44XY, or 34XY. Hero is still unlikely to win the high without a five on the turn or river.

Considering the action, a call is perfect.

Buzz
Old 12-31-2006, 05:23 AM

Call. IMO a raise is never correct. At 2-4 cold calling will hopefully induce some other poor calls with hands such as A5 or A6. If you are in fact getting quartered, which there is a decent probability, it will be benneficial to get as many players in on the action as possible. Check 4th whether low comes or not b/c there is always the possibility button was playing for free card or attempt to get heads up. This would result in a check for a free card(assuming no one else picks up the action)
Old 01-01-2007, 01:51 PM

I would coldcall the flop raise. This is my very first omaha post, so if im wrong somebody please call me retarded.
Old 01-01-2007, 02:53 PM

You can definitely the call the flop (raising would be horrible) given your read as your opponents being rather loose, but the turn will be the important street here. If the pot ends up 3 handed, you whiff, and the action comes back to you 2 cold - you'll probably need to fold.
Old 01-02-2007, 03:44 AM

Since your opponents are bad, the best player here is to call.

There are however some occasions where folding here might be a fine play.

I do agree with Buzz that you should have bet the flop and not checked however.
Old 01-02-2007, 04:53 AM

I agree call is perfect.

Not sure I like the line of betting on the flop. The hands people most like to play are A2, A3, and 23. With the preflop action I feel you are up against at least one three and probably another A2. If you bet I think if anyone has a three they are raising to limit the field. I think you want callers to avoid the quartering.

Maybe I'm just getting tight in my old age.
Old 01-02-2007, 10:26 AM

Thanks for the replies!
I called the raise on the flop.
Turn is another 3! I check and facing 2BB on the turn.
Fold or call?

Poker Stars
Limit Omaha Ring game
Limit: $2/$4
10 players
Converter

Pre-flop: (10 players) Hero is SB with 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
UTG folds, UTG+1 calls, <font color="#cc0000">UTG+2 raises</font>, 3 folds, CO calls, Button calls, Hero calls, BB calls, UTG+1 calls.

Flop: 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] (12SB, 6 players)
Hero checks, BB checks, UTG+1 checks, <font color="#cc0000">UTG+2 bets</font>, CO folds, <font color="#cc0000">Button raises</font>, Hero calls, 2 folds, UTG+2 calls.

Turn: 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] (9BB, 3 players)
Hero checks, <font color="#cc0000">UTG+2 bets</font>, <font color="#cc0000">Button raises</font>, Hero ?