Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Medium Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-29-2006, 11:24 PM

Default Fun 2/5 hands at the Tropicana

I played the 2/5 game at the Tropicana this week - generally soft games with some rocks nitting it up and some really bad players donating. One player, however, is generating all of the action at the table. He's raising or re-raising most hands, and the other players at the table are just waiting for a chance to get his chips. He's loose to the point where he got a $250 bet paid off on the river by A6 on a board of KQ642. He's shown a few bluffs, but has had some monsters in the biggest pots. In any case, most of the table thinks he's an idiot. Through some table talk, I learn that he is a 2+2'er, and I've played with him online. He's a decent winner, and super LAG - I think I have some notes saying 'insane' or something like that. Then these two pots come up.

First hand:

I am in the 5 seat with KQo. I limp along with 6 others, and Villain throws 40 chips into the pot from the button. I don't think he's looked at his cards. I call, along with 2 other people.

Effective stacks: $500

Flop: K28

3 checks, and villain throws $150 into the pot. I call, and everyone else folds. Villain looks down at his hand, thinks for a second, and calls.

Pot: around $500.

Turn: a 6, completing the rainbow.

I check. Villain Looks back at his hand, thinks for a little while, and moves all in. I go into the tank for a second, and Villain tells me that if I fold, he will show. So, obviously I...?

Second hand (the next day):

I have $1300 in front of me and Villain covers. I limp JT suited, and Villain again raises to $40 from the button. 4 callers.

Flop: T67, rainbow. I check-call $180, and everyone else folds.

Turn: 4o

I check again, and he bets $350. I think for a bit and call.

Pot: (approximately) $1200

River: K

I check again. Villain tanks for a minute, looks up at me, and says he's all in (it's about another 700 to me). This time, he's quiet. I?

Sorry if this was too long.
Old 12-30-2006, 01:10 AM

Default Re: Fun 2/5 hands at the Tropicana

I'm confused about your read. Is he a good lag that the nits read as bad because they are dumb, or is he drunk and donking it up? and since when does table talk involve 2+2?
Also, villain seems to have called his own bet on the flop. I would ask the dealer about that.
Old 12-30-2006, 02:02 AM

Sorry. Ignore the second sentence on the first hand, because I am retarded. I would classify villain as a decent LAG, but probably too loose.

Edit: Also, villain started talking about 2p2 because one guy at the table said something about playing 50/100 on Full Tilt and my buddy chimed in about knowing Grimmstarr, at which point villain was like "oh, are you guys two plus two'ers?
Old 12-30-2006, 03:53 AM

These hands are very in the moment specific. It all comes down to how often do you think he actually has it. Look him in the soul and make a read and go with it.
Old 12-30-2006, 04:11 AM

If your opponent looks at his cards twice postflop he probably has a you crushed. If he's going to bluff isn't he less likley to look at his cards?

Does that make sense? :-)

With that in mind, I would probably fold hand 1, maybe call hand 2. The king is not the kinda of card I'd like to see on the river.
Old 12-30-2006, 04:43 AM

I feel like you should be leading out more of the time with these marginal hands in weird multiway pots like this to get some information.

After you cold call a rainbow board w/ no draws OOP with a lot of people to act, the lag is going to have to consider that you have a set, not something marginal like KQ. so i think this turn is a fold honestly (and why I like being the aggressor on the flop).

hand 2. Check calling here is the weakest line ever, and the king is a perfect river to fire again on. If he did actually have the big hand that I think he did in the first hand, this kind of looks like a bluff... just from the physical things that you mentioned. However, this is such a terrible spot that you got yourself in by playing a marginal hand passively OOP against a 'psycho' that you now don't know what to do. Personally, I'm folding this turn, but I do not like your post-flop play in either hand.
Old 12-30-2006, 05:24 AM

Co-sign with shootaa on both hands.

For hand 1, villain most likely puts you on a pair of kings. I don't know your previous history with him, but he probably expects most opponents with a pair of kings to call the all-in based on his image as a very loose player. Betting into 3 players on a king high board, no draws, and then pushing turn - I'm pretty sure he wants your call. (Unless he's completely trashed) So fold.

Hand 2, bet the flop. Do you ever raise preflop in this situation?