Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > STT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-29-2006, 08:21 PM

Default $114 Robbing the limpers

These limpers weren't the brightest of players.

PokerStars Tournament, Big Blind is t100 (9 handed) Converter on pregopoker.com

UTG (t1395)
UTG+1 (t1945)
MP1 (t1020)
MP2 (t1250)
MP3 (t1480)
CO (t2965)
Button (t1350)
SB (t500)
Hero (t1595)

Preflop: Hero is in BB with T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
<font color="gray">UTG folds</font>, <font color="gray">UTG+1 folds</font>, MP1 calls t100, MP2 calls t100, <font color="gray">MP3 folds</font>, CO calls t100, <font color="gray">Button folds</font>, <font color="gray">SB folds</font>, <font color="red">Hero raises to t1595 (All-in)</font>...
Old 12-29-2006, 08:41 PM

Default Re: $114 Robbing the limpers

Hi DDBeast,

Could you explain your reasoning for this move? I know at the lower levels if I were to try something like this somebody (maybe 2 somebodies) are going to call to "keep me honest". Are players in the 100s goofy enough to limp 10% of their stack but aware enough to not try to keep you honest by calling off the rest of it?
Old 12-29-2006, 09:13 PM

as long as you haven't started being frisky yet, i like.
Old 12-29-2006, 09:53 PM

You're getting called. At least I would if I made this move.
Old 12-29-2006, 09:58 PM

It's amazing to me that at a 114 people are limping with those stacks.

I really don't like this push, especially considering the first limper has 920 after his limp.
Old 12-30-2006, 01:14 AM

i dont play stakes this big but i know enough about sit n gos that plays like this are unnecasarry. If you don't get called its a miracle.
Old 12-30-2006, 01:20 AM

[ QUOTE ]
i dont play stakes this big but i know enough about sit n gos that plays like this are unnecasarry. If you don't get called its a miracle.

[/ QUOTE ]

This was a good post with which I totally agree. I also agree with Shillx, except if I had AA, they would of course all fold.
Old 12-30-2006, 06:14 AM

I think it's fine. This is a pretty good spot w/ two big cards and t450 in the pot. The most common hands that limp/call are medium pairs, in which case you are still not in bad shape if called.
Old 12-30-2006, 07:19 AM

I use this play probably one time every sng or two because it has a high success rate when you wait for the right opportunity. Another key factor here is that he makes this move with a marginal hand. You can occasionally be expected to get called by A9, 77, and sometimes even worse. Your hand is not in terrible shape against those hands when you do get called.

This strategy is basically a complicated squeeze play because more than likely the first limper has the best hand out of all of them, but certainly doesn't want to play that hand against two or three opponents and will usually fold. The reason the other limpers are involved was because 96h looks fine when two people limp in front of them, etc etc.

I would say I get called one out of every five attempts at this move. Four times you take down several big blinds and the other time you get in a spot where you might be slightly behind or sometimes even slightly ahead (such as when you make this move with a8 and get called by two paint cards) you are playing with lots of dead money in the pot. I think it's definitely a +EV move if done correctly.
Old 12-30-2006, 07:24 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I would say I get called one out of every five attempts at this move. I use this play probably one time every sng or two because it has a high success rate when you wait for the right opportunity. Another key factor here is that he makes this move with a marginal hand. You can occasionally be expected to get called by A9, 77, and sometimes even worse. Your hand is not in terrible shape against those hands when you do get called.

This strategy is basically a complicated squeeze play because more than likely the first limper has the best hand out of all of them, but certainly doesn't want to play that hand against two or three opponents and will usually fold. The reason the other limpers are involved was because 96h looks fine when two people limp in front of them, etc etc.

Four times you take down several big blinds and the other time you get in a spot where you might be slightly behind or sometimes even slightly ahead (such as when you make this move with a8 and get called by two paint cards) you are playing with lots of dead money in the pot. I think it's definitely a +EV move if done correctly.

[/ QUOTE ]

You run good, or you have a very selective memory.