Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-29-2006, 01:14 PM

Default Session review

What do you look at? What hands do you pick? How long do you take?

I just recently started actually reviewing my sessions [img]/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img] Before I would just think about certain plays from a session that really stood out, or I would focus on just a hand or two. Now I am actually looking through the hands in PT. However, from each session, I will usually just look at the biggest winners and losers. I estimate that right now, I am spending 10-15 minutes reviewing for every hour I play.

Should I look at every hand played? Should I use something other than pot size to determine what hands to look at?

I tried searching for some posts about this but couldn't really find anything.
Old 12-29-2006, 01:23 PM

Default Re: Session review

Personally I start by reviewing my biggest losers, followed by my marginal winners. Reason: I want to minimize my losses and maximize my gains. The big losers give insight into my big leaks, and the small winners give insight into extracting the maximum out of a hand.

After looking over the biggest losers and smallest winners, I go on to the biggest winners and smallest losers.

I glance over hands that I folded preflop to see if I can find a reason to play the hand (based on the opponents, position, etc.).

I do look over every hand for the session, even if some only get a quick glance. After doing so, I jot down a quick summary of the session with what I think I did well on, what I think I can improve on, and any other important factors that influenced my play (i.e. "had one too many beers, don't play next time" or "was having problems concentrating" or "had the right mindset going in").

On occasion I review stats over multiple sessions for things like c-bet frequency, preflop raise size, positional decisions (limping/raising specific hands in CO or BTN), etc.

Edit: My review time to play time ratio started off around 2:1. Now that I'm better, it's probably around 1:2 (30 minutes review per hour played). This doesn't count looking at posts here, reading books, thinking about hands in general. I do that most of the day. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]