Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-29-2006, 02:59 AM

Default Turn bet?

Villain is 35/18/2.0, 0.9, 0.8 with a 3.4% cr and 44 WTSD over 655 hands. We've played together a bit, so I assume that he knows how I play. At this table, however, I'm running at 14/11/3 over 140 hands, as I've been getting kinda cold-decked.

Full Tilt Poker
Limit Holdem Ring game
Limit: $5/$10
4 players
Converter

Pre-flop: (4 players) Hero is SB with J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
UTG, folds, Button (poster) checks, <font color="#cc0000">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#cc0000">BB 3-bets</font>, Button folds, Hero calls.

Flop: 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] (5SB, 2 players)
<font color="#cc0000">BB bets</font>, <font color="#cc0000">Hero raises</font>, BB calls.

Turn: A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] (4.5BB, 2 players)
BB checks, <font color="#cc0000">Hero bets</font>

A friend is sweating (bbusshu) and he disagrees with the turn bet.

I bet to take a free s/d or fold to a c/r.
Old 12-29-2006, 03:14 AM

Default Re: Turn bet?

If you want to see the showdown for 1BB, check the turn and call a river bet.

Bet here if you think it's a value bet. I don't think it is-- what's the villain's range here?
Old 12-29-2006, 03:19 AM

I like a turn check, you're losing value from a FD, but you're gaining a free card to draw out on his possible Ax hand. You may also induce a river bluff from a worse hand.
Old 12-29-2006, 03:44 AM

I think it's important that we bet here, there's just way too many free cards that could hurt us. If the board were lower in general, I wouldn't mind checking as much, but his range + this board makes for lots of scary rivers. I think that supercedes everything else here.

You can also be sure that he's next to never c/r bluffing here, which is nice. [censored].
Old 12-29-2006, 05:01 AM

How come you're SB against BB but are in position postflop?

How often do you think he's bluffing the river if you check the turn? He seems pretty aggro really. I don't know exactly how many outs we have when he check/raises but I'm guessing 3 to 4, if that's the case we give up somewhere around half a BB when he check/raises. Would he check/raise something like red AQ on the turn? If not that's more reason to bet as we're not giving up on our outs as often, and we have less outs when we do.

I would probably check behind, I'm guessing we have somewhere around mid 30s% equity on the turn, so I'm thinking it's worth more to try and draw out than prevent him from drawing out, and he might charge himself sometimes anyway by bluffing the river. We can also save ourselves a bet if a bad card falls.
Old 12-29-2006, 09:12 AM

The converter screwed up the hand. I am guessing you had position postflop and preflop is messed up.

His range is probably pretty wide since HERO raised a poster, so the turn is not neccesarily that bad.
I think its close between a bet and check behind. I would hate folding to a raise since there is obviously so many hands he could semibluff. But I would also hate not getting value from these draws and handing out free cards.

I bet intending to fold to a raise and check behind the river. But I end up calling the raise and call any non spade river cuz I like to show down my hands expensively.
Old 12-29-2006, 10:23 AM

I would check behind on the turn. This is because it's fair to assume that hero will get check-raised on the turn more than he'd like to. It's quite likely that BB has an ace based on his preflop and flop play. If he doesn't have an ace, then for you to be winning he has got to have KQ or TT and worse pp's. The rest of his hands have you beat now.

It's difficult to resist betting because you may think he's got a flush draw. But who knows, if he has KQ with one spade he could check-raise the turn on a draw. So I would just quietly avoid disaster by checking behind. If he's on a draw and misses, or has a worse hand, he may indeed bet the river. The other advantage to checking obviously is to get a free chance (as opposed to paying 1-2BBs) to improve to trips or two pair.
Old 12-29-2006, 11:24 AM

im not really sure about the action in this hand which part is messed up preflop im assuming? i dont know if id raise J10s in the sb even tho the button is a poster

assuming poster is not button and u are, i think a turn bet is in order here. hes liable to have alot lesser hands than if he had limped even, and even if he had limped id put in another bet here since an A is less likely.

there are just way too many freecards to be given, charge alot of those peeling type hands and lesser pairs he ll call with since hes a poster and could have a worse J 9 6 straight draw now possibly with flush outs. its a pretty easy bet fold too which lends itself to the bet decision as well.

if this hand had been something like he raises and u incorrectly cold call on the button the hand plays with a tougher decision but i think itd still be bet/fold since he gave up initiative at some point and there are so many KQ type hands with a fd to charge, altho the possibility of inducing a bluff makes up for this some what u are not sure which cards are safe and many will appear not to have been and soem will have appeared to be that werent.
Old 12-29-2006, 11:36 AM

shadow,

I would check this turn. We are getting c/r'd by a LOT more than just an ace. So i check and call a river bet.
Old 12-29-2006, 11:40 AM

First, checking a strong Ace in his spot is terrible when most people would check behind with your hand. Second, most people just donk this card when they want to bluff. And third, a turn bet on that card is a strong play on your part so I don't think checkraising something like AQ is really a good play against your range that plays this way which includes a lot of flushes and 2pair hands. So I like the bet and wouldn't expect to get C/R'd all that often.