Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-28-2006, 07:20 PM

Default A general strategy question

Poker Stars $4.00 180. For those of you that have played lots of these, you know that the first few hands can shake out a lot of donks. First hand I get QQ in mid p. Guy opens for 3 bets, I raise to 200 and the guy behind me goes all in. The original raiser calls and I call too.

I did this feeling that I'd be in a race with A-K and probably another pair smaller than mine. I insta called because I've got a chance to tripple up early in the T. Is this generally correct early tournament strategy when at the $4.00 level you know there are many, many donks early on making such all in raises with much lesser hands than I was up against?
Old 12-28-2006, 07:36 PM

Default Re: A general strategy question

I take it the villain raised to t60? Not the most important decision in this hand, but I re-raise a bit more, to t300.

The AI call you made is perfectly standard. QQ should be folded preflop in the 4/180s EXTREMELY rarely.

If you happen to loose it's variance.... Fire up another one.
Old 12-28-2006, 07:42 PM

Fiksdal; Yea I thought about that afterwards regarding my re-raise but I think that in this instance it wouldn't have mattered.

I was up against AK and 10-10 and a King hit on flop. It's good to know that it should rarely be folded.
Old 12-28-2006, 08:39 PM

I never fold QQ here unless I have a history with either player. EVER. In a $4/180 that's pretty rare, so call.
Old 12-28-2006, 10:11 PM

dfbuzz: I never fold it either especially early with no read but I lose so often in that situation that I thought I would ask more experienced players.

I wonder if that would apply to a $50. buy in 180 man (if there was such a tournament.) Here's what I mean: Let's say that my finances meant that $50. meant about as much to me as $4.00 so the money would not be the issue. But given how much better the players are at that $50. level, would a call still be correct with two all in players and me with QQ first hand of T?