Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-28-2006, 12:13 PM

Default tough spot ft 10 buy in

18 players left(in the money whoopie!) im utg w J8 off and 8268 in chips

Blinds are 800-1600 200 ante
given ill be anteeing next 2 hands should i push and pray here?
Old 12-28-2006, 12:24 PM

Default Re: tough spot ft 10 buy in

I assume this is not a 6-max tourney or something, and the table is 9-handed.

Personally, I push because I hate to see the blinds hit my already suffering stack the next hand. The antes make this even easier to do.

You'll bust out a lot though, but you were already in terrible shape.

So the bubble has just broken, huh? Sounds to me like the reason that your stack is this small is because you were too carful while waiting for the bubble to end. I can't know this, you might just have suffered a terrible beat on the hand before this one, but I just think it's likely that you limped into the money and that is why your stack is small.

The bubble is a great place to accumulate chips. The next time, start opening up and beeing active, before you end up in this situation.
Old 12-28-2006, 12:25 PM

Other stacks? Table tendencies? Reads on the blinds? Not really enough information here to make a judgement I'd say. Your M is terrible with that ante though, so you're pretty desperate. How did you get into this spot anyway? From your "whoopie" comment I get the feeling you eeked into the money with a short stack and now are trying to climb back out of the cellar.

Anyway, I'd say pushing isn't a terrible idea. Depending on the stacks, you're likely to get looked up by someone, but you need to get chips. And in two hands you'll be down to just 5400 chips.

I hate myself, but I guess I push.

--TFGoose
Old 12-28-2006, 01:46 PM

Well based on the limited info I'll take a stab at some sort of answer. If you assume that players will only call an UTG push w/ the top 10% of hands,(77+,A9s+,KTs+,QTs+,AJo+,KQo) there is a 61% chance you will get called by at least one of the 8 remaining players.

I will further assume it gets HU.

You are 29% against that range and the shove comes to 254 +cEV. (3% of your stack) Obviously, if there is an aggro large stack or shorties your FE decreases but we don't know because you did not give us reads/stacks (which you should in future posts).

On the next hand (your BB), calling a push w/ random hand is a worse spot than here from an odds perspective. Folding through the blinds is not an option given the payout structure of the 10/180.

Cliffnotes: PUSH
Old 12-28-2006, 01:50 PM

here here

oh and push i guess- youve made your bed

brian
Old 12-28-2006, 05:40 PM

ty guys i folded the j 8 but as soon as i did i felt i made an error. and fiskal i had lost an all in i had 20g in chips but lost which left me short i push AT 10bb w any position/hand strength/ 1st in vigorish
Old 12-29-2006, 03:37 AM

I wonder why MSCAces hasn't replied to this thread?
Old 12-29-2006, 04:23 PM

I move in. 10th-18th pay the same. So that's basically one whole place all together, so to speak. You might as well freeroll with your shoves until around the final table if you're that short stacked.
Old 12-30-2006, 01:16 PM

I hate being blinded off as much as the next guy, but pushing J8o UTG is not my idea of fun. How long until the blinds increase? If I have time to see most of the next orbit at this level, I'm going to pass on this. Even if you fold the blinds, you will have a T5400 stack. That's more than 3x the BB. You can actully go 5 hands before hitting 3x.

I'd be more inclined in this situation to wait and try to push first in from late position, or catch a better hand. If the blinds are going up real soon, then I'm pushing UTG as well.