Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-28-2006, 12:07 PM

Default Carpal Tunnel Syndrome

Yesterday I felt a tingling in my thumb and index finger of my right arm when i lightly touched an object, and a little browsing online tells me this is the first sign of CTS. Once I have this feeling though, is it too late? Can I reverse it? online searches haven't told me much, so i am sure at least one of you have it, any information (recovery, if i caught it early enough, etc.) would be beneficial to me.

i searched for some ergonomic mice (i have the tingling in my mouse arm only, and it seems typing is not associated with CTS as much as your mouse hand is) and i've come upon this guy:

it doesn't twist your arm like traditional mice (your forearm) because it puts ur arm in a handshake/neutral position...but before i shell out any $$$ and possibly be worsening my condition, i wanted to see what people have been told by doctors/professionals.

thanks in advance
Old 12-28-2006, 12:30 PM

Default Re: Carpal Tunnel Syndrome

try going outside once per day.
Old 12-28-2006, 12:38 PM

I don't know much about CTS but the tendons in my wrist stopped hurting as soon as I began using the Logitech Trackman Wheel. It's nice because you can rest your arm on the desk instead of hovering it over the desk as you move your mouse around.
Old 12-28-2006, 06:03 PM

A few years ago I started to get some similar hand pains. Learning the Dvorak keyboard mapping helped me solve the problem. I was surprised because I thought getting a new mouse would help, too. Only recently did I get a more ergo mouse.

The only problem I have w/ learning another keyboard mapping is that I forgot how to type in Qwerty. Some people can do both, but my mind refuses to keep the inefficient mapping alive. (I don't think I type faster in Dvorak, but you will shorten the avg movement of your hands while typing reducing the affects of carpal tunnel.)

There could be other mo' better mappings out there. It's something to think about if you type a lot.

I think doctors may recommend it as well..
Old 12-28-2006, 06:07 PM

Similar symptoms for me about 2 yrs ago and are showing up again for me very recently after playing CS again.

I basically stopped using the mouse with my right hand for several months. I switched to using my left hand and stopped playing computer games. Also did more push ups, curls, and other exercises to try to strengthen my wrists. Got one of those stress balls that I would use regularly at the office and at home. My wrists eventually felt completely normal until I stopped my exercises and started counter strike again.

IANAD (I am not a doctor) and never went to one for CTS.
Old 12-28-2006, 06:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]

The only problem I have w/ learning another keyboard mapping is that I forgot how to type in Qwerty. Some people can do both, but my mind refuses to keep the inefficient mapping alive. (I don't think I type faster in Dvorak, but you will shorten the avg movement of your hands while typing reducing the affects of carpal tunnel.)

[/ QUOTE ]
I also wasn't able to use querty for about a year after switching to Dvorak, but now I have little problem using it if I have to. I make some typos for the first minute or so, but after that there's no problem. I found I was able to noticeably improve my typing speed by switching to Dvorak.

OP, get an erg trackball or mouse and switch hands (assuming you have a mouse) when you start getting tired.
Old 12-28-2006, 06:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I also wasn't able to use querty for about a year after switching to Dvorak, but now I have little problem using it if I have to. I make some typos for the first minute or so, but after that there's no problem. I found I was able to noticeably improve my typing speed by switching to Dvorak.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, it very well could be lack of effort on my part. I just hate Qwerty.

I still have some occasional issues about some of the non-alphanumeric keyboard symbols on Dvorak..never got a keyboard to match my mapping.

[ QUOTE ]

OP, get an erg trackball or mouse and switch hands (assuming you have a mouse) when you start getting tired.

[/ QUOTE ]

The mouse would have to be symmetric about the right and left hands?
Old 12-28-2006, 06:42 PM

You people might want to buy this book

http://www.amazon.com/Trigger-Point-Ther...TF8&s=books

Probably the one of the best books to treat these problems by yourself and also learn interesting and very useful things about your body. Of course the ergo-stuff is good too, especially in the long run..

J
Old 12-28-2006, 06:55 PM

Cray, I would recommend the Typematrix 2030. It's hardwired for Dvorak so you can use it somewhere without changing settings for entire computer and it switches to Qwerty with the touch of a button. The keys aren't staggered so there's less finger movement while typing:
It comes with a protective rubber Dvorak overlay that you can take off when your friends ask "why is your keyboard weird?" The only downside is that it's around $120, but I find it worth it as it's small and easily portable. A minor annoyance is that it isn't a USB keyboard but it comes with an adapter.
Old 12-28-2006, 07:06 PM

i have had this sugury on both wrist. it sucks.
One of the early signs is when you wake up if your hands are numb, then i would suggest you see a doctor.
It got so bad with me o could not open a bottle, then i could not close my hand all the way, i was a mech in the airforce. Finally i was transfred to a difffrent job, and given time to heal, but to much time had passed.
At this point (from the very little i read) it sounds like your just over using it, i would suggest taking breaks, someone mentioned excersies, maybe google some, or goto a physical therpist that has the special hand certification (really makes a diffrence) and get a consult.
You should take a very extreme approcah to preventing this becuase it sucks very bad, and if you continue to put it off it will only get worse.
I waited to long to get the sugury and now i have all sorts of problems.
if you have anymore questions just ask ill keep checking this thread to reply or pm