Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Beats, Brags, and Variance
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-28-2006, 02:06 AM

Default \"Should I factor running bad into my decisions?\"

A true story by Psychology.

At your own risk...

[ QUOTE ]
I have been running bad in NL lately. Regular variance/bad beat stuff. I have been playing sit-n-gos as a change of pace.

The hand that lead to this post was pretty standard... I had KQ in position , four people left in a SnG with one caller. Board came Q high all spades. I bet, villian raised me all in. I assumed he had a high spade so my call was automatic. But just before I called, I thought "I have been running so bad lately, I bet he gets that last spade he needs... I shouldn't call." Anyway, I read the situation correctly, called and he hit his last spade and I was done. No biggie.

My first thought was "I am not going to change my successful game just because I am running bad...". But I started to think about it more, and am wondering if I should tighten up a little bit and maybe try to leave myself open to those draws a little less often until my variance turns around.

My first thought was that that would be silly, but more the more I thought about it, we all make adjustments in our games based on our opponents... why not make adjustments based on ourselves? Any thoughts?

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 12-28-2006, 02:08 AM

Default Re: \"Should I factor running bad into my decisions?\"

i used to think that poker was all about bad beats too, then i grew the [censored] up
Old 12-28-2006, 02:08 AM

as scary and donkish as it sounds i bet many people think like this

"lol i have an OESD but i havent hit one forever might as well just fold", then it misses ,"HAHA I KNEW IT"
Old 12-28-2006, 02:09 AM

yea reminds me of ppl watching me, i have say like AA and the board is like AKTx, i get it all in they got like QJ and they like "i knew it" and im like "NO YOU DIDNT"
Old 12-28-2006, 02:09 AM

clearly his style isn't working, what's wrong with a change?
Old 12-28-2006, 02:10 AM

if he's getting hurt by beats he should move down ala AlReturnsLOL
Old 12-28-2006, 02:12 AM

[ QUOTE ]
as scary and donkish as it sounds i bet many people think like this

"lol i have an OESD but i havent hit one forever might as well just fold", then it misses ,"HAHA I KNEW IT"

[/ QUOTE ]

lol, i had a hand today where i had 76c in bb, i think co raised and there was 1 caller, i usually call there then thought "im not running well this session, i will just miss anyway" called for like 2.5bbs more, flop is like 84x, 2 clubs, i try to check raise, turn is a 5, i stack someone, [censored] results orientation, i ended that session up 3.5 buyins
Old 12-28-2006, 02:14 AM

Normally, I'd say no, but in fact if you've been running bad and you're at a live table, or an online table where people are paying attention, they might be more willing to take shots at you, believing you to be a donk instead of a good player running bad. They'll be more likely to call down bluffs with weak hands, so I'd tighten up on your bluffs and semi-bluffs at the least.

By the way:

"he hand that lead to this post was pretty standard... I had KQ in position , four people left in a SnG with one caller. Board came Q high all spades. I bet, villian raised me all in. I assumed he had a high spade so my call was automatic."

Depending on the stack sizes, your bet, and his chip stack, you might have misplayed this hand. He could actually be a favorite here (doubtful, but if he had the Ace, he'd at least have 1 overcard, and if he had a pair also then he was perfectly fine with his c/r). Go to the 1-Table Tournaments forum.

Good luck.
Old 12-28-2006, 02:22 AM

Well in sngs sometimes the a situation will present itself in which both plays have the nearly the same ev , but one play has less varience. Taking the low varience play in situations like that is most likely the best thing to do when running bad.
Old 12-28-2006, 02:25 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Well in sngs sometimes the a situation will present itself in which both plays have the nearly the same ev , but one play has less varience. Taking the low varience play in situations like that is most likely the best thing to do when running bad.

[/ QUOTE ]

ok why wouldn't you also make the less variance play when running well or mediocre if they're =EV?