Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-27-2006, 04:15 AM

Default making a move on the bubble

Villain has been a solid, tight player. We are on the bubble, and the table has really tightened up.

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t600 (7 handed) internettexasholdem.com

Hero (t18765)
UTG (t14144)
MP1 (t4290)
MP2 (t13268)
CO (t11595)
Button (t16653)
SB (t21355)

Preflop: Hero is BB with Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">4 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises to t1800</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to t4800</font>, Button calls t3000.

Flop: (t9850) A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets t5400</font>

I'm continuing on a bluff, since I figure I can make him lay down a better Q at this point. I'm posting this because I led out the flop without a plan if he called or shoved. Is this a good move, and what should my plan be?
Old 12-27-2006, 04:23 AM

Default Re: making a move on the bubble

raise more PF check shove the flop.
Old 12-27-2006, 04:25 AM

I don't mind the flop move, you can get a bunch of better queens to fold or another better hand to fold. (like KK, if playing it trickily, unlikely). You also want to take down the pot ASAP since it is huge. That said...

The problem is that the reraise preflop puts you in a bad spot postflop. I don't really like it for the fact that you said that villian has been playing solid and tight. This means that he has a hand in most cases, and you're probably just wasting chips trying to resteal.

That's just my opinion, and I'm still working on my tournament game...I'm curious what the other seasoned posters have to say.
Old 12-27-2006, 04:26 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This is why I suck at tournaments....I never thought of this line...
Old 12-27-2006, 04:33 AM

there was some comments a while back on one of the cash game forums where people don't worry about hands that your stack is going in either way. Try to get value from worse hands or get better ones to fold. The only better hand I see folded to a flop bet is a stronger Q I don't think your avg player is flat calling with KK because of bubble they want to shove before they see that ace on the flop.
The check shove looks super strong and also it gets value from when they try to steal the pot they either have a pp or Ax here a lot. Bet/folding is really bad as the pot is huge so check shoving gets more value from non Ax hands.
Old 12-27-2006, 05:02 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

CRAI is a plenty fine line, but I like open shoving better since it will probably end up being a bit more than a pot sized bet and practically uncallable unless villain has an ace or better. Even a tight player might fold ace-rag if faced with this action.

EDIT: Whoops, nevermind. Just noticed hero has villain covered. Check shove all in is better.
Old 12-27-2006, 05:55 AM

thanks for the detailed responses. In hindsight, check-shove is definately better... although I'm still unsure what to do on the turn if he checks behind. I might have more trouble convincing him I have a hand at that point.