Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-26-2006, 08:32 PM

Default Bet fold on scary board

Hi!

I've been lurking on these forums for a while now, and I finally decided to register!

Anyway, could you tell me how I played this hand please? Villain is sorta tight (21 vpip) and has a lower pfr (16). Which basically combines to mean that he sucks!

Full Tilt Poker
Limit Holdem Ring game
Limit: $.5/$1
6 players
Converter

Pre-flop: (6 players) Hero is SB with A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
<font color="#cc0000">UTG raises</font>, 2 folds, Button calls, Hero calls, <font color="#cc0000">BB 3-bets</font>, UTG calls, Button calls, Hero calls.

Flop: T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] (8SB, 4 players)
Hero checks, <font color="#cc0000">BB bets</font>, 2 folds, Hero calls.

Turn: A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] (5BB, 2 players)
Hero checks, <font color="#cc0000">BB bets</font>, Hero calls.

River: J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] (7BB, 2 players)
<font color="#cc0000">Hero bets</font>
Old 12-26-2006, 08:42 PM

Default Re: Bet fold on scary board

[ QUOTE ]

Anyway, could you tell me how I played this hand please? Villain is sorta tight (21 vpip) and has a lower pfr (16). Which basically combines to mean that he sucks!

[/ QUOTE ]
I hope this is sarcasm.

Fold preflop. AJo is one of the worst hands to call a raise with OOP.

b/f the flop is the worst thing you can do here. Do not bet the flop because it is pointless. He either has an overpair to this flop, has a nice set, has two overcards and a GSSD, or has JJ and an OESD. Your donk will get raised 100% of the time. You have an nice OESD because your A gives will make you the nut str8 if the K comes. Getting 9-1, you definitely call on the flop.

Call the turn.

c/f the river.
Old 12-26-2006, 08:46 PM

based on this first post, your screenname is perfect!
Old 12-26-2006, 08:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
I hope this is sarcasm.

[/ QUOTE ]

21/16 isn't the best for 6-max. Too tight and nittish.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I almost 3-bet.

[ QUOTE ]
b/f the flop is the worst thing you can do here. Do not bet the flop because it is pointless. He either has an overpair to this flop, has a nice set, has two overcards and a GSSD, or has JJ and an OESD. Your donk will get raised 100% of the time. You have an nice OESD because your A gives will make you the nut str8 if the K comes. Getting 9-1, you definitely call on the flop.

[/ QUOTE ]

I never intended to bet/fold the flop. I always c/c here. The b/f is for the river.

[ QUOTE ]
c/f the river.

[/ QUOTE ]

wtf? I have two pair? I think c/c is the worst option here.
Old 12-26-2006, 08:59 PM

grunch
I'd fold with UTG raising. You have to figure you're behind to whatever UTG is holding with AJ offsuit.
Old 12-26-2006, 09:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
I hope this is sarcasm.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

21 VPIP is a bit tight for 6max, but a 16PFR is not very nittish at all.
[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I almost 3-bet.

[/ QUOTE ]
Folding or 3-betting can both be right depending on UTG, which you told us NOTHING about.[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I never intended to bet/fold the flop. I always c/c here. The b/f is for the river.

[ QUOTE ]
c/f the river.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, you have 2 pair... so what? Tell me what hand range you put BB on? First you say that the BB is tight/nittish and then give his 3bet no consideration? Please name me just 3 hands that the BB 3bets with PF that you beat with your 2 pair?

Thinking only in terms of what your hand amounts to is the fastest way to spew away money!!!!

BTW, I'm serious about the naming 3 hands bit.... come up with a 3bet range for BB and post it... which of these hands are you ahead of? Behind? Chop?

The river J was the worst possible card for you in this spot, but hey, you have 2 pair!
Old 12-26-2006, 09:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
I hope this is sarcasm.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

There's a big difference between "not the best" and "sucks."
What is "nittish?"

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Sorry, I was looking at a different hand.

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
c/f the river.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

c/f because your hand doesn't win here often enough to make calling profitable.
Old 12-26-2006, 09:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
I hope this is sarcasm.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Lower end, but not really.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I almost 3-bet.

[/ QUOTE ]

What hand is AJo ahead of to a UTG raise? You're also out of position.

[ QUOTE ]
c/f the river.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Who the [censored] cares what you have. What does he have that he calls you with?
Old 12-26-2006, 10:22 PM

grunch
21/16 are not terrible numbers. Actually I'd think the villain plays well preflop in loose games. Any other reasons why he sucks?
I'd raise preflop, ideally to make BB fold. (obviously that's before you know he's going to reraise.) Big cards are strong shorthanded.
Bet the flop. You've got a strong draw and an overcard.
Bet the turn.
Check/call the river. Against that board you'd like a cheap showdown.
Old 12-27-2006, 12:28 AM

**Grunch**

[ QUOTE ]
Villain is sorta tight (21 vpip) and has a lower pfr (16). Which basically combines to mean that he sucks!

[/ QUOTE ]

Whaaa!!! sorry this sounds like he's not that bad. maybe a bit aggressive preflop but there are bigger errors.

I dont like the way this is played at all.

Flop is good and you have good odds to draw. So good call here.

I dont like this turn even though it makes you two pair b/c given the preflop action it is very likly that you are behind to either trips, 2 pair (AQ), and there is a big big chance that you will be out drawn on the river by and spade, Jack, King, Queen, possibly even ten.

This what i did when i saw your river play [img]/images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img]
Then i did this [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
Then i did this [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

The J [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] was probably one of the worst cards that could have come. Even though it gave you 2 pair, it fills so many draws here. I would have to guess that you lost to AK.

Edit: Sorry I didnt realize this was a 6max game! I have never played 6max so dont give my post that much credit (although i still feel you played it wrong)