Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Community
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-25-2006, 10:38 PM

Default Question related to Bankroll required for rebuy tournaments.

Hello!

If someone is thinking in participating in a rebuy tournament, what guide lines should be followed regarding proper bankroll size?

I know for non-rebuy tournaments people generally reccommend having a BR of 200x the tournament buyin... I'm thinking with a rebuy tournament it would probably depend on what type of player you are.

Assuming you always take the instant rebuy and add-on at the break, that means your in for 3x the buy-in every tournament as it is.. then if you always double rebuy when knocked out, it seems to boil down to how many times you plan on rebuying (of course, we all plan on rebuying 0 times each tournament, but that is not always going to occur. Especially in a loose rebuy tourney like the stars $3r.).

so I'm assuming a base amount of 9x the tournament buyin (average, definatly could b e more or less depending on the tournament) per tournament, and 200x that would be around 1800x the buyin of the tournament, leaving a appropriate bank roll of around $5500 for the stars $3r.

Is this a correct assumption? Please let me know what standard you usually use for this if you personally have one, it would be interesting to see.. Even this brief math has shown me that even though it seems to be a relatively cheap tournament, the bankroll requirements for rebuy's are much, much much larger than those for a regular tourney.. though I may be erring on the low or high side depending on the type of player you are.
Old 12-26-2006, 03:20 AM

Default Re: Question related to Bankroll required for rebuy tournaments.

bank roll of around $5500 for the stars $3r.

not a bankroll expert, but i think 1500 is enough for the 3r.
Old 12-26-2006, 08:15 AM

Convention wisdom around here is that people spend about 5x the buy in for a rebuy on average. So for a $3 that would be 15. and you want about 100 times the buy in for your bankroll = you need about $1500 for the $3.
Old 12-26-2006, 10:16 AM

Your assumptions for 200x buyin and 9 buyins/tourney are really conservative. FAQ for MTT forum lists 50-100x buyins, and min of 3-4 buyins/tourney. Being conservative isn't bad, especially if it means that you rebuy properly, and don't let the cost affect your decision to rebuy. It also matters whether you can replace your bankroll, and can handle going busto.

You should track your results for a few rebuys, and see how many buyins you're spending overall. I'm sure it does vary depending on the tourney, and certainly by the player/strategy.

I've noticed that people rebuy much less as the buyin increases. I've been wondering if many people are actually underrolled for these rebuys if it affects their rebuy strategy. Of course, it could also be that they're extremely loose with the rebuys at $3R, and get closer to a correct strategy at higher buyins. Other thoughts?

Kindling
Old 12-27-2006, 02:02 AM

I've noticed the 3r's tend to be alot looser than some of the other rebuy tournaments, or even the live one in town where I am... the live one actually seems very very tight at times, compared to what I have seen online on stars. It has always seemed to me that the 3r was more of a very expensive flipament, with somepeople pushing preflop many hands in a row with a very very loose range of hands. I'm sure playing in this environment increases the amount of rebuys used by an average player in the tournament.

At what point does the play start to tighten up? I have noticed this on a very small scale going from the 3r to the 5r and occaisionally the 11, however my sample size is not great enough to make an educated guess on this. If anyone else has played more of the higher level rebuys, then thoughts would be appreciated.