Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-25-2006, 04:47 PM

Default Tempur Pedic Beds

Is there a difference in quality between a mall-based store such as Brookstone and those furniture stores along the street?

PS. I didn't know where to post this so mods can direct it to the right place if they can.

Thanks.
Old 12-25-2006, 05:05 PM

Default Re: Tempur Pedic Beds

[ QUOTE ]
Is there a difference in quality between a mall-based store such as Brookstone and those furniture stores along the street?

PS. I didn't know where to post this so mods can direct it to the right place if they can.

Thanks.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't know, but I'd strongly advise against tempurpedic mattresses. Anytime you shift positions, you wake up- the bed takes a few minutes to form to your body.

If you sleep motionless for the entire 5-10 hours that you're asleep, then I guess they're ok, but most people shift a few times during the night. On a tempurpedic bed, this is highly disruptive.

My wife and I considered a tempurpedic when we were last in the market for a mattress. I tested it in the store but I couldnt make up my mind, so a friend of ours that has one in his guest room let us try a night's sleep in it so we could get an idea. It was brutal.
Old 12-25-2006, 05:10 PM

i think they are great. just fyi, there are like 6 or 7 mattress styles within the tempurpedic brand and while any individual one will be the same at one store or another one store might not have all the options.

it is definitely worth your time making sure you get the correct model.
Old 12-25-2006, 05:17 PM

Just FWIW, I strongly suggest finding a friend or a hotel room that has one, and attempting a night's sleep on it before making the purchase.
Old 12-25-2006, 05:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I tested it in the store but I couldnt make up my mind, so a friend of ours that has one in his guest room let us try a night's sleep in it so we could get an idea. It was brutal.

[/ QUOTE ]
I talked to one of the consultant a long time ago and he said it is important that you use the bed in the first two weeks so the bed can get used to your temperature and body shape.

Do you remember if the bed in the guest room was occupied before you tried it?
Old 12-25-2006, 05:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I tested it in the store but I couldnt make up my mind, so a friend of ours that has one in his guest room let us try a night's sleep in it so we could get an idea. It was brutal.

[/ QUOTE ]
I talked to one of the consultant a long time ago and he said it is important that you use the bed in the first two weeks so the bed can get used to your temperature and body shape.

Do you remember if the bed in the guest room was occupied before you tried it?

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually, my friend (the owner) bought it for him and his wife when they bought the house, and then quickly decided they hated it so they put it in the guest room and bought something else for their room.

So no- if it was occupied, it was only occupied for a night or two prior to my sleeping in it. Not long term. It was close to brand new. <font color="pink"> </font>
Old 12-25-2006, 06:20 PM

I got one 2 months ago. It was partly a christmas present from my mother. (she paid for a third)

It was tough to get used to, for about 3 nights. Ever since, I absolutely love it. I do roll around and wake up a couple times during the night, but I do that on any mattress.

I recently visited my dad, and could not get comfortable on a regular mattress. I often get back pain, but I haven't since I got the tempurpedic. We'll see if it reoccurs.
Old 12-25-2006, 06:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Thanks.

[/ QUOTE ]

I bought mine in Brookstone ~7 years ago before they were well known. I was having a great deal of pain in my right hip and was willing to take a chance on something radically different. It was explained to me that it takes a week or two to break in. It IS a different sleeping experience but I got used to it after a few days. 2 months later my hip pain practically vanished.

There is one particular model with an extra foam top that I really want to get but it's pretty expensive so I'm passing for now as the one I have is holding up just fine. I think they give you a 30 day trial which is helpful.

Lastly, I don't think there is any difference in the place where you buy it but you should check out the models.
Old 12-25-2006, 07:32 PM

Tempur Pedic corporate has a 30 day risk-free trial. My grandpa bought one and returned it (old guy, real picky) without a problem.
Old 12-25-2006, 08:00 PM

I work at Brookstone, and they are really worth the money. They conforming takes only about 15 seconds, not minutes. Also they do have all aizes and different types for people, like extra soft or firm. If you've got the money I would definately reccomend buying one.