Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Heads Up Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-25-2006, 01:40 PM

Default preflop aggression

after reading thru some threads it appears alot of people are way too tight from the button, at least in HU sngs. Never raising something like 37 is a leak. For those of you that don't believe me, your next few HU sngs just try raising either every hand or 9 out of 10 hands and see how much more in control you feel, and you will also be shocked at how frustrated the other player gets and how much he folds.

Of course its stupid to always raise this much but it takes playing like this for a while to realize how valuable it is to play really loose from the button. against players who are weak after the flop your cards preflop are almost insigificant.

most of this is probably obvious but for those of u that disagree this, try this excercise it will turn u into a better player.

this doesnt really apply as much to cash as to sngs cause blinds never go up and u can be patient and fold every 37
Old 12-25-2006, 03:21 PM

Default Re: preflop aggression

Terrible advice .

You can raise for a profit with any two cards if the timing is right , but to suggest that you should "always" raise 9 out of 10 times is just stupid .
Old 12-25-2006, 03:35 PM

It's probably a cool idea to try out for a learning experience. I know some people who tend to fall into a "limp all" frenzy, and I could see taking a session or two this way of raising pretty much everything in position would be good for their game. It would be pretty hands on what power position and aggression combined has.

But as jay said, for someone who has a good grasp of pre-flop play already I don't think it's a good route to take. However you're a succesfull player nyc so if it has worked for you who am I to argue against it? I beleive there are tons of dirferent styles to play. But I don't think this style is a good strategy for everyone to follow as a standard style.

-Milky
Old 12-25-2006, 06:08 PM

you are just mad from the other thread, no need to troll bud. How about we play some heads up i will raise 90% of the buttons and see how u do.

i said in the post that its stupid to do it all of the time, its just an exercise for people that play too tight. However, against weak players then it is right to raise that much from the button cause u can outplay them postflop. There are certain players u should play 100% hands from the button, others 50%, others 30%. Bottom line is you should play alot of hands from the button

the excercise is just to show people how good it is to play loose from the button
Old 12-25-2006, 06:19 PM

nyc, what stakes do you play and on what sites?
why the hate for jay? get the chip off your shoulder.
Old 12-25-2006, 06:46 PM

no hate for jay at all lol. no chip, i was just trying to give some help to players who might not understand how aggressive you are supposed to be preflop

i play on stars 500s and 1ks
Old 12-28-2006, 05:08 AM

If you're raising 90% of buttons hands can't your opponent pwn you by coming over the top allin a lot?
Old 12-28-2006, 11:05 AM

[ QUOTE ]
If you're raising 90% of buttons hands can't your opponent pwn you by coming over the top allin a lot?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, but many won't adjust correctly. Not saying raising so much is a good idea, but it shouldn't be dismissed out of hand.
Old 12-28-2006, 01:26 PM

Most of my experience comes from 50s and below where a lot of times you can encounter villains who will play ATC preflop and float a lot. Against this limping a fair amount of weaker hands is better than raising them so thats why I think people are disagreeing very strongly with you, different games.

Also, your point about cash games differing from the SNG structure I feel is a bit off. When you playing deeper stacks (like 200bb+ in a cash game) your cards can become a lot less important than your position so playing weaker cards becomes much more profitable.
Old 12-30-2006, 04:09 AM

there are standard hands that are profitable to play from the button (open-raise or open-call) vs. standard opponents. If they play back much, preflop or after, one can't open as often, while if the blind(s) keep folding too much, then one can open with more hands. Just a math question though one may find a better spot to put one's money on the line in tournaments. But even in tournaments one likely does better by stealing blinds when one should be stealing blinds; all top players do it and some of them do not ask much anything from their hands to do that.