Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-25-2006, 02:28 AM

Default saying \"thank you\"

When someone says "thank you" in the chat after stacking me, this pisses me off like nothing else. It even makes me mad when I wasn't the one who was stacked. I truly despise the people who say this. The thing is, almost nothing else bothers me and nothing comes even close to consistently affecting me the way saying "thank you" does. Explain?
Old 12-25-2006, 03:29 AM

Default Re: saying \"thank you\"

It's just because their rubbing it in.
Old 12-25-2006, 03:40 AM

First, be sure that they're not saying "thank you" in response to someone, who just said "nice hand", which happens a lot.

If the above is not the case, you're pissed because you're being taunted by someone using a normal expression of gratitude sarcastically. It's a two-barrel insult. For example, as opposed to being directly called a donkey in disdain, you're now a donkey that he falsely appreciates for the chip donation.

Our minds are primarily wired to deal with direct conflict, but this is a subversive attack. Your mind is momentarily fooled by "thank you" due to its overwhelming use as an expression of gratitude in our lives. Upon realization that you've deliberately been fooled, you get very, very pissed in response.
Old 12-25-2006, 03:49 AM

Yeah, this is one of the simplest, most dick moves in online poker. Anyone who does this is an automatic jackass. It's kind of like saying, "Thanks for being there to get unwillingly ass-pounded."

It doesn't have to get to you though. You can pretty much assume that the person who submits the unsolicited "thank you" is a total ass-clown, and that you'll probably end up seeing him get broke if he sticks around long enough.
Old 12-25-2006, 06:21 AM

If I know I just stacked a solid player, I'll say "ty" in the chat, not to be a jackass, but because it's +ev.

Either he continues to play solid (I lose nothing), he leaves (hopefully replaced by a donkey) or he goes on tilt. One of the three is 0ev, the other are +ev. So why not do it?

fwiw, it pisses me off royally when somebody does it to me.
Old 12-25-2006, 01:00 PM

You know, it may actually be +EV, but I would much rather maintain my dignity and respect at the table than pull this.
Old 12-25-2006, 01:51 PM

If i know the one i stacked i good i say "thx". If he is bad i say sry for suckout or i pushed wrong button,sth like that
Old 12-25-2006, 06:57 PM

turn off the chat until you fix this leak.

it is obviously throwing you off your game.

BTW, I haven't seen this happen too much live. The guy who does this in live games usually doesn't make it all the way back to the car.

Dov
Old 12-25-2006, 07:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
but I would much rather maintain my dignity and respect at the table than pull this.

[/ QUOTE ]

it's the internet.

i'll take the money thanks.
Old 12-25-2006, 07:59 PM

You know, the more I think about it, the more I'm starting to see that people who do this probably don't understand the game as well as they think they do.

Good players are not really going to be affected by this tactic. If anything, it will only inflame the fish who are there to have a good time.

In addition, you will become a target to the other players who will now want to see you lose. This will have the effect of requiring you to actually hit your hands more often than might otherwise be necessary.

It's true that you might tilt someone along the way, but I think that if you find yourself in a game with a truly good player, you will be expoited while you are mickey mousing with the other guys.

The problem is that the motives of the other players become clouded to you. You no longer know why they are betting, calling, or raising.

Is it because they have a hand or because you are a dick?

Throwing people off their game is good, but I think that in this case, you are not controlling the direction well. Your results will be unpredictable at best.

That cannot be EV+.

Dov