Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-24-2006, 02:01 PM

Default Pechanga Daily Tourneys

Anyone here ever give the $25 buy in 10:00Am tourneys a try at Pechanga? And if so how did you like or dislike the format and play etc.?
Old 12-24-2006, 02:51 PM

Default Re: Pechanga Daily Tourneys

I don't mean to derail the original point/question of this thread, but I'd also like to hear thoughts on the Pechanga poker room in general as well.
Old 12-24-2006, 05:01 PM

Well, I have played there a little but not the tournyes at all. I have played 2-4 and 3-6 LHE, 3-6 Omaha and a little $40 NLHE. The 2-4 LHE had the worst players I have ever seen in any game bar none. TEH 3-6 wan't far behind either. TEh O8 had some pretty good plaeyrs but not many and the NLHE I have only played a bit but had a mix of fair and bad.

Room-I really like the room itself. Very professionally ran and good service etc. Very clean as well. Good sized room.
Old 12-24-2006, 05:26 PM

Following is the text of a reply I posted a while back on a different topic, but addresses Pechanga.

----------------------

I've not played 2/4 at Pechanga; not my game. I would say that drop structure would NOT be a criterion for your decision; 2/4 drop anywhere is going to be ruinous no matter how you slice it.

For OTHER reasons (not necessarily strictly game-related), I'd heartily recommend Pechanga. Big comfortable room; about 50 tables or so, but not the least bit cramped. Great atmosphere. Drink service is pretty good. Cocktail waitress uniforms cut to display decolletage nicely, and most of the girls have got something to display. And if the 2/4 is anything like the 3/6 & 4/8 (even 8/16), should be great action. Also, poker room is up on same floor as the Silk nightclub which is fairly popular, and right above the awesome rotunda lounge/bar. On Fri/Sat nights there's a considerable amount of eye candy about. Several good restaurants as well; I tend toward simpler fare, I like the cafe. My favorite place to play in SoCal.

Back to the drop, however...my one big gripe about Pechanga is their drop policy; at 4/8 & 8/16 (and I assume other limits as well), they take a $1 drop even if there's no flop. If you steal the blinds preflop, you're still giving the house $1. If the blinds CHOP, Pechanga STILL takes a buck (comes from the BB). I've seen this nowhere else; not in San Diego, not in Washington, not in Vegas, Texas, or Louisiana. I don't have first-hand knowledge if they do the same in their 2/4, but I'd bet that if there's a way to make the 2/4 drop even more taxing that it usually is, Pechanga has probably figured it out and implemented.
Old 12-24-2006, 05:28 PM

daily tourneys are big crap shoots. 2500 chips 25/50 50/100 100/200 200/400 and keep doubling every 15 mins.
Old 12-24-2006, 06:06 PM

THanks Haiau. SOunds like you have to play hands right away and push hands a lot to stay in the thing eh?
Old 12-24-2006, 09:31 PM

All SoCal daily tourneys are extra super turbo types like this.
Old 12-25-2006, 02:03 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Back to the drop, however...my one big gripe about Pechanga is their drop policy; at 4/8 & 8/16 (and I assume other limits as well), they take a $1 drop even if there's no flop. If you steal the blinds preflop, you're still giving the house $1. If the blinds CHOP, Pechanga STILL takes a buck (comes from the BB). I've seen this nowhere else; not in San Diego, not in Washington, not in Vegas, Texas, or Louisiana. I don't have first-hand knowledge if they do the same in their 2/4, but I'd bet that if there's a way to make the 2/4 drop even more taxing that it usually is, Pechanga has probably figured it out and implemented.

[/ QUOTE ]

In the NorCal state sanctioned cardrooms, they do the same thing, except they take the buck from the small blind.
Old 12-25-2006, 02:08 AM

[ QUOTE ]
daily tourneys are big crap shoots. 2500 chips 25/50 50/100 100/200 200/400 and keep doubling every 15 mins.

[/ QUOTE ]

Doesn't seem so bad to me. A lot of Vegas and NorCal dailies and weeklies start with less, although some have 20 minute levels.
Old 12-25-2006, 03:58 AM

I played the $40NL at Pechanga last weekend and they take a $2 drop even if there is no flop.