Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Student Life
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-21-2006, 10:46 PM

Default What Not to Do

I am going to be putting together close to 10 applications over the next 2 weeks, I was wondering if any of you had tips of things NOT to write about in essays.

For example: I want one of my essays to focus on boners. Is this an auto-deny, or can it be pulled off if used in an effective manner?
Old 12-21-2006, 10:49 PM

Default Re: What Not to Do

[ QUOTE ]

For example: I want one of my essays to focus on boners.

[/ QUOTE ]

Genius! Consider it STOLEN! [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 12-22-2006, 01:23 AM

Essays should be used to talk about yourself; to express what cant be expressed through grades, SAT scores, and ECs. I can't really think of a way boners would shed a positive light on you. Likewise, I would never mention that you ever did drugs, alcohol, smoke, play poker a lot, or severly broken the law.
Old 12-22-2006, 01:49 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I am going to be putting together close to 10 applications over the next 2 weeks, I was wondering if any of you had tips of things NOT to write about in essays.

For example: I want one of my essays to focus on boners. Is this an auto-deny, or can it be pulled off if used in an effective manner?

[/ QUOTE ]

you don't think you can pull off a boner effectively?
Old 12-22-2006, 02:50 AM

How the [censored] would talking about a boner on a college app essay work well?
Old 12-22-2006, 02:55 AM

It's Easy!

"....that is why I want to go to college. Oh, btw...BONER BONER BONER BONER BONER. Have a nice day! :-)"

That oughta get you into Harvard for sure!
Old 12-22-2006, 09:15 AM

if you were able to do it, it would make you seem very creative, interesting and smart. Or creepy and weird. Why not just use it for your reach schools.
Old 12-22-2006, 09:46 AM

Boner Jams 03'?
Old 12-22-2006, 12:08 PM

Here I'll try to explain the context a little bit and you guys can let me know what you think. One of the colleges I'm applying to has a prompt where you can write a prompt of your own and respond to it. They want it to be original, insightful, reveal something about yourself. They say to have fun and take chances so this is the prompt I came up with:

""Everyone has a time in their life when they come to a shocking realization that changes the way they look at a person. Imagine you are in a situation in which your view of three-billion people change. Describe in detail the event and the effects the realization has had on your life then, now, and what effect it will continue to have on you in the future."

So basically I'm going to talk about the summer between my sophomore and junior year when I took a photography class with a female friend of mind. The class was going terribly because I'm about as far away from artistic as it gets, and I hated everyone in there because they were the typical Florida swamp-hicks. One night while doing a review for our finals, my friend wrote the 4 letters NARB on my paper. Then she revealed NARB to mean No Apparent Reason Boner. She pointed to a middle aged man in the corner rubbing a massive erection against the side of his leg. This continued for several minutes uninterrupted until he started tapping his feet and whistling. I couldn't control myself and started laughing out loud. Teacher was mad until he saw what was going on, he stopped class so everyone could take a 5 minute bathroom/smoke break. Guy ran out of the class so fast he almost forgot to open the door.
So I thought the situation was pretty hilarious. But, when I got home that night it got me to thinking. Hey, why was my friend looking at a 40 year old mans penis in the middle of class? Then realization struck, that means, oh god she looks at mine too. I mean she has to, she has acronym based nicknames for them, so it's not like they go unnoticed. I asked several of my female friends and they confirmed my theory, and asked me if I was stupid.
So my essay is going to use that event to focus on my naivete. Being raised in a maternal household (mom and grandmother) I had always held women in such high-esteem and never thought them to be half as primal as males, when in fact theyre just as bad if not worse.

Good or no good?
Old 12-22-2006, 02:43 PM

Horrid essay choice. Admissions commitee's are stiffs (no pun intended.