Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Medium Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-21-2006, 06:32 PM

Default 15/30 Wynn, pondering from McCarran abt 55

Live 15/30 at the Wynn, last night around 2am
Game is pretty wild. Most of them seem to be regulars who know each other.

BB is super-fish, old woman who plays every hand and doesn't fold.
UTG is semi-loose, semi-aggro, tough, thinking player. Does some pre-flop limping and cold-calling but seems solid post-flop

My image may be a bit weak-tight as I've folded a few flops after raising pre-flop, missing and having it come back 2 bets to me.

I'm in mid-late position with 55

UTG limps, UTG+1 calls, some folds, I call, everyone folds to BB who checks.
Flop is 942r

Checks to me, I bet
BB calls
UTG raises
UTG+1 folds

I call, intending to raise any turn. Fine?
Old 12-21-2006, 07:29 PM

Default Re: 15/30 Wynn, pondering from McCarran abt 55

goot.
Old 12-21-2006, 07:39 PM

Location: Who wrote \'help I\'m a bug\' on my letter to grandma?

what did they look like?

also, realy?! The game was good? When I left at around 1 it was the worst i've seen it in a logn time
Old 12-21-2006, 07:59 PM

I'd probably only raise turns where I pick up a straight draw. Otherwise I'm not willing to put the described player on air just yet, and I think you're beat too often to continue. There's some merit to raising some overcards as a bluff, but that would depend on your image and whether you think UTG will give you credit for a hand.
Old 12-21-2006, 09:54 PM

so you fold to the flop raise? A fair line. However, if you plan to see a showdown, I think the best way to get there is raising the turn.
Old 12-21-2006, 10:40 PM

Against most of my opponents, with what is generally my image, folding the flop or (rarely) calling the flop and folding the turn is better. I agree that if you're showdown-bound, or even showdown-inclined, that your line is best.

One problem is that a tough player should combine the dry board with your bet and come to some conclusion other than "this guy is definitely stealing with nothing." It would be much different if the pot were heads-up or three-handed. There is some chance you'll get a better hand to fold (or, rarely, worse one to call) on the turn), but while I usually love these plays that aim to pick up the 3-to-4-big-bet pots, I think he'll have it.

Now, if he limped in with AKs aiming to reraise, and is now trying to get the pot heads-up with a worse hand so he can win UI and trap you for a small bet on the flop, then, well, you get outplayed.

Good hand to post. Interested in results.

--Nate
Old 12-22-2006, 01:04 AM

[ QUOTE ]
what did they look like?

also, realy?! The game was good? When I left at around 1 it was the worst i've seen it in a logn time

[/ QUOTE ]
BB was old woman with the green scarf-thing on her head who apparently smelled, from what I heard. I think she was in the 9 seat. UTG was youngish, black or mix, red hat I think, in the 1 seat. I guess the 10 seat was empty at the moment, or maybe I have their positions slightly off.

I actually have little concept of time from last night, may have been a bit later. I was the asian wearing a white polo with sunglasses on top of my head, in the 4 seat -- did we overlap at all? I got sat in the must-move game first which seemed fantastic, for the 3 hands that I played before it broke. Then I played 4/8 for like 2 hours while waiting to get into the main game.

And FWIW, the main game did seem tough while I was watching it before getting a seat. I think a good number of faces changed after 1am and it was definitely good while I was playing.
Old 12-22-2006, 01:48 AM

[ QUOTE ]

One problem is that a tough player should combine the dry board with your bet and come to some conclusion other than "this guy is definitely stealing with nothing." It would be much different if the pot were heads-up or three-handed. There is some chance you'll get a better hand to fold (or, rarely, worse one to call) on the turn), but while I usually love these plays that aim to pick up the 3-to-4-big-bet pots, I think he'll have it.

[/ QUOTE ]
The thing is, with this old woman, basically everyone was salivating to play against her. She went to a lot of showdowns and didn't win very many of them.

So my thinking was that if UTG has any kind of Ace or paint, he knows he's good against the old woman, and if he can get rid of me then he's golden. And I actually do think that he thinks I'm full of crap.

I think one upside of my line is that I can even maybe get a fold from 66-88.
Old 12-22-2006, 01:54 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I'd probably only raise turns where I pick up a straight draw. Otherwise I'm not willing to put the described player on air just yet, and I think you're beat too often to continue. There's some merit to raising some overcards as a bluff, but that would depend on your image and whether you think UTG will give you credit for a hand.

[/ QUOTE ]
I had a hard time putting him on any hand that beats me. So much so that I almost 3-bet, but then I holstered and decided on my plan.

I felt he'd just lead with a 9. And he certainly would've raised pre-flop with any overpair.

I should also mention that he hadn't been shy about check-raising before this. Didn't always see what he had, but it was a regular move in his playbook at any rate.
Old 12-22-2006, 02:24 AM

Location: Who wrote \'help I\'m a bug\' on my letter to grandma?

I'm thinking it over and I think you just need to call down or not calldown depending on how things develop. It's fine to not cooperate with his plan of getting it heads up with the woman(who I know and you should just never realy worry about her cards). The problem with raising, while it 'might fold 88-66' if they magically materialized in that spot, if this guy has after the action thus far 88-66 he's not folding it