Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Omaha High
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-21-2006, 03:02 PM

Default Has anyone ever laid down the made nuts? And would you push this draw?

I had a hand the other day, where I raised preflop with AKcTQs and got 5 callers in a live 2-5 game. My image is slightly loose preflop raises and tight with my big bets I believe. Effective stacks are $450 since he just bought in.

I get 5 callers
Flop: Pot $65
KhTc9c
3 checks, I pot, old man who plays pretty much the same as me but is VERY VERY rich, repots, all fold and I push here.

Anyone NOT push here? I was 100% sure that he had QJ and since he didnt repot PF I think it rules out KKQJ which is just about all I am behind.

This brings me back to my other question of does anyone ever fold a made nuts hand? and could you propose a situation where it could happen? I imagine that theres no way it could happen for less then 2-3 buyins.
Old 12-21-2006, 03:36 PM

Default Re: Has anyone ever laid down the made nuts? And would you push this draw?

Yes you can easily lay down something like 78xx on a Tc9c6s board to multi way actionbecause you're probably just freerollinga made hand plus better redraw. FEAR THE REDRAW!

Also I'm confused as to what you have. Do you have a flush draw to go with your TTP and gutshot? If so then it aint so bad.
Old 12-21-2006, 03:40 PM

Default Re: Has anyone ever laid down the made nuts? And would you push this d

Yeah, nut flush top 2 and gutshot. As it went I was 54% to win vs his 41% to win and 5% chop. I however missed all my draws, but that isn't the point.
Old 12-21-2006, 03:46 PM

One remarkable hand I played a while ago on stars..

I can't remember exactly how it went down but I'm in the BB with JT96 or something. I call a raise preflop from EP as does the SB. The flop comes down Q95, SB checks, I check, EP pots it, SB calls, I call (I also have a runner runner flush draw, but the board is rainbow at this point). The turn is a king filling my straight but putting a flush draw on board that I don't have. SB checks, I check, EP pots it again, and SB goes over the top all-in, giving me something like 1.7-1 on my call with money left over between me and EP. So I draw to the nut straight on the flop, make my nut straight on the turn, and FOLD. Obv EP calls and shows top set with the 2nd nut flush draw, and SB shows the same nut straight as me with an ace for a higher straight redraw. The river hit the flush, but having run it through twodimes I found that fold to earn me $40 which I was obv quite happy about. V strange that the only 2 times I've laid down the nut straight were on the turn.
Old 12-21-2006, 03:51 PM

Wazz what stakes were you playing in at the time? I think the skill level in your game must be much higher then in mine, as that bet and pot do NOT mean that yorue being freerolled like that where I play except from a few players. Even in our uncapped 5-10 game I dont think you would be that bad off there if this situation arose (not that I play in that game, only watched.
Old 12-21-2006, 05:10 PM

That was $2-4 I believe. My opponents weren't amazing but solid enough for me to know that to lay that straight down.

Come to think of it, I laid down nut straight on the flop yesterday. Unraised pot, I'm in the BB with 47TK, the flop comes 356 with a flush draw, I lead out for the pot, get 4 callers and the button raises the pot. Even if the button doesn't have the straight, he has at least a set with a flush draw or 789 with a flush draw, against both of which I'm an underdog not to mention OOP.

Stack sizes are a very important factor in any decision like this.

Re this hand, your push is good. Most of the time you're getting called by the nut straight but you've got any redraws covered.
Old 12-22-2006, 02:38 AM

Default Re: Has anyone ever laid down the made nuts? And would you push this draw?

I have a few times, it depends on a few factors and we are asuming you have no 1 card redraws:

1. How much in the pot
2. How many chips do you have behind and how much does your opponent(s) have behind.
3. How many people in the hand
4. What type of opponents are you up against

The absoulte worst nuts to flop in PLO is made Broadway with 2 to a flush especially when several people are seeing the flop, if you are out of position it's a bad predicament.

Think of all the cards you have to fade to basically get your money back.

There are much better spots to be in.

I folded the nuts in a multiway pot on the flop with a raise and reraise after I bet, it saved me 800, one guy had top set and the other had the same straight with a flush draw.
Old 12-22-2006, 09:03 AM

Its so comparatively common to pass the made nuts that I can't really think of any examples. Especially multiway. One of the factors NLHE players talk about all the time, which for some reason PLOers seem to not consider so much, is that the more raises that take place, the more likely the ultimate nuts is out there. In PLO the ultimate nuts is not the nuts, its the nuts with a freeroll. I could imagine a scenario when I didn't even put a bet in and I would still pass the nuts. FWIW, this is normally a straight related phenomenon.

gl

dd
Old 12-22-2006, 04:56 PM

Here's one of many situations.

PokerStars Pot-Limit Omaha High, $1.00 BB (7 handed) Hand History Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: 2+2 Forums)

CO ($92.40)
Button ($373.70)
shpongled ($113.25)
BB ($94)
UTG ($115.90)
MP1 ($25.55)
MP2 ($37.50)

Preflop: shpongled is SB with 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, CO calls $1, Button calls $1, shpongled completes, BB checks.

Flop: ($4) 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">shpongled bets $3.8</font>, BB calls $3.80, CO folds, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises to $19</font>, shpongled calls $15.20, <font color="#CC3333">BB raises to $79.8</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises to $262.2</font>, shpongled folds, BB calls $13.20 (All-In).

Turn: ($378.20) 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players, 1 all-in)</font>

River: ($378.20) J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players, 1 all-in)</font>

Final Pot: $378.20

Hands, equity:
shpongled: A [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]8 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]6 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]2 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 9.8%
BB: A [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]7 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]7 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]4 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 64.56%
Button: Q [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]T [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]8 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]6 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 25.75%
Old 12-23-2006, 09:14 AM

[ QUOTE ]

The absoulte worst nuts to flop in PLO is made Broadway with 2 to a flush especially when several people are seeing the flop, if you are out of position it's a bad predicament.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is definitely not true b/c you don't have to fade any higer str8 cards... if you had 98 on a JT7 two flush board it would be far worse...