Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-21-2006, 02:51 PM

Default Ask me about timeshares

There have been a couple of posts on this subject recently and there seems to be a fair amount of interest, so I thought I would chime in.I've been in timeshare,or,as we like to say now,"vacation club" sales, for over ten years with a major hotel chain.Bring it.
Old 12-21-2006, 02:54 PM

Default Re: Ask me about timeshares

do you ever feel any guilt after closing a hard sell on someone that is obviously getting in over their head and/or don't really know how bad of a deal it is?

or do you actually think they're a good deal?
Old 12-21-2006, 02:58 PM

How do they figure it was worth it to pay me $300 to sit thru the presentation?
Old 12-21-2006, 03:16 PM

No,I don't feel any guilt.I tell people they have to ask them selves three things before they should consider owning.
1)Do they like it?
2)Would they vacation more and/or nicer if they owned it?
3)$ ie.,is it TOTALLY comfortable for their budget?
If they say yes to all 3,then they should seriously consider owning.
As far as hard sell,our business is notorious for it.Fortunately,I work for a company known worldwide and we employ what's called a "takeaway" approach.Kind of like the hot chick at the bar that blows you off.That only makes you want her more.So,ZERO hard sell.

As far as being a bad "deal" ,that depends on your definition of a deal.It's usually a horrible financial investment,but a great investment in time with loved ones without distractions.Is it the least expensive way to go?Absolutely not.Go camping for that.

I believe in the product my company sells wholeheartedly.I'm going to the Keys and the Virgin Islands for 2 weeks for Xmas and New Year's with mine and to Vegas for the Super Bowl.Most good salespeople own their product if they believe in it.It's a fun way to vacation with friends or family.Chicks walk into the places I stay and think it's balla ,so it has it's advantages.
Old 12-21-2006, 03:24 PM

Howard,they figure in the $300 in to the purchase price.Most marketing in timeshare is built in to purchase price.Kind of like when you book a cruise and they "include" airfare.Did you tour with ILX,Sunterra, or Fairfield(Wyndham)?
Old 12-21-2006, 03:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Howard,they figure in the $300 in to the purchase price.Most marketing in timeshare is built in to purchase price.Kind of like when you book a cruise and they "include" airfare.Did you tour with ILX,Sunterra, or Fairfield(Wyndham)?

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't want to say. Not trying to dodge you but, even though I only said nice things about where I went, I worry about malicious people online. I will say that I recognize one of those 3. Good read.

Edit to add:

I don't think it was necessarily a bad deal. If I had some loose cash I might've gone for it. As I said in my TR I have a cousin who uses hers regularly and loves it. The place I toured was an older property but still very nice, much, much nicer than a regular hotel room. I think most folks objection to it (as is mine) is that there isn't much of a resale market but if you look at it as an initiation fee into a club where you can travel in style for your lifetime (worth much more if your younger) then I can understand buying one.
Old 12-21-2006, 03:34 PM

No prob.Glad you didn't have a horrible experience.lol.
Old 12-21-2006, 03:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
There have been a couple of posts on this subject recently and there seems to be a fair amount of interest, so I thought I would chime in.I've been in timeshare,or,as we like to say now,"vacation club" sales, for over ten years with a major hotel chain.Bring it.

[/ QUOTE ]

What are typical tricks of the trade that the timeshare owner can use to get extra benefits like extra nights, free upgrades, VIP treatment?
Old 12-21-2006, 03:57 PM

Call the resort directly a couple of times with questions before you arrive.Ask to speak to the same person each time if you hit it off.Bring some small local type gift.For instance,if you are from Vermont bring a small bottle of some local syrup.This can occasionally get you upgrades if you have talked to the front desk clerk before.For extra nights,some ts companies offer owner rental discounts above and beyond the purchase.Check with your home resort to find out before you travel.Interval Gold is worth upgrading to if you belong to Interval International(a big TS travel agent).This allows you to use "getaways"which are rentals of unused inventory.I'm staying in a 2B at Polo Towers in Vegas for $199 for the week.Many resorts offer discounts on golf,spas,restaurants,tennis,tours ,etc.for on property guests as well.Ask about these at check-in.
Old 12-21-2006, 04:02 PM

How much more trading power do your really get (say at Interval or RCI) by buying a platinum vs a gold week?