Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-21-2006, 06:32 AM

Default Raise size with Aces?

I'm kind of torn between what Ed has in NLHETP about varying raise sizes and using a standard raise. It seems like AA can be a trouble hand post flop with a couple of callers. I run into a set, two pair, or guys who draw. Over time, might it not be better to raise 6 x the blinds + 1 for each limper with Aces or Kings just to narrow down the range of hands who call. Has anybody else considered this or are you guys standardized raisers?
Thanks for any input in advance.
Old 12-21-2006, 06:35 AM

Default Re: Raise size with Aces?

JUST GO ALL-IN SO THEY CAN'T CALL

Or learn how to play postflop. You want action with big PPs. Post hands where you had trouble with AA postflop.
Old 12-21-2006, 06:37 AM

You should raise whatever amount you think will get you HU. If that means raising to 6x bb+1x per limper by all means raise it to that amount. Usually the standard of 4xbb+1x per limper is enough to limit the field though.

I always standardly raise 4xbb+1x per limper, but ever since I moved to party I've been raising a bit more random amounts. Basically varying my raise with 1bb means people are calling me less preflop, this is mostly for when I've been raising a lot on the button and people are likely to play back. If you raise slightly more than the last 9 times they will usually fold because it looks suspicious of a big hand (same goes for raising less).
Old 12-21-2006, 06:38 AM

I don't standard raise. Not really because it's theoretically correct or incorrect, but because it's freakin boring.
Old 12-21-2006, 08:44 AM

Std raise makes your range bigger and harder to put you on hands. If they can't put you on hands then you're ahead...

You want worse hands to call AA dude, but you'll also lose with AA a portion of the time, it's called variance. Changing raise sizes doesn't stop bad beats.
Old 12-21-2006, 07:06 PM

Excellent point about variance, thanks.
Old 12-21-2006, 07:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Changing raise sizes doesn't stop bad beats.

[/ QUOTE ]

the bet sizes you that Ed's talking about is for the sake of deception, if you are afraid of bad beats with AA, then stop playing poker... :-p

ALi is HOT i've never seen her post in SSNL WTF?
Old 12-21-2006, 07:25 PM

If you're afraid to get drawn out when you have aces, then you're playing scared. And you're also probably paying opponents off too frequently when they beat you. Instead of making an overbet preflop with a great hand, work on your postflop skills.

There are two times when I like the overbet with AA. One is when I'm opening the pot on the button, which will look like a steal and encourage a lot of hands like 99 and AQ to repop me (at which point I might be inclined to just call and let my opponent hang himself on the flop). The other time I might overbet with AA is if I'm in the big blind facing a bunch of limpers, as this might also look like a steal. Usually if I'm raising from the blinds I'm going to overbet slightly to ocmpensate for my position, so I might as well bump it up a little extra when I have the goods.