Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-19-2006, 07:08 PM

Default (PS $2/$4) : River Raise

The CO and button look like TAGs so far, and have pretty much been staying out of my way. The SB seems like your average Joe.

Villain is 71/13/47/1.1/3.3/6.3 after 72 hands (VP$IP/PFR/WSD/AF-F/AF-T/AF-R). I've seen him take this flop and turn line twice before. Once he was bluffing (and fired again on the river-HU against me), the other time he had turned a straight-not HU or against me. Overall he seems like a deceptive player (slowplaying bigger hands, taking shots if opponents look weak, betting/raising and sometimes not making it to showdown despite his looseness, etc.)

I had contemplated 3-betting the turn, and am still not sure if that would have been better, but thought it was an easy raise once the river paired. Thoughts?

PokerStars 2/4 Hold'em (5 handed) Hand History Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: 2+2 Forums)

Preflop: Hero is UTG with K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
<font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, BB (LAG) calls.

Flop: (4.50 SB) 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
LAG checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, LAG calls.

Turn: (3.25 BB) T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
LAG checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">LAG raises</font>, Hero calls.

River: (7.25 BB) Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">LAG bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>

Scott
Old 12-19-2006, 07:23 PM

Default Re: (PS $2/$4) : River Raise

At 5/10 I think LAGs like this can fold on the river often enough to make this unprofitable because we have to call a 3 bet.

If it were as simple as we always get an extra bet when ahead and always lose an extra 2 when behind it would be an easy raise I think. It depends on how often he will call with 3s 5s and A high.

This is a very interesting hand to put into the riverplay spreadsheet from mid high. Post the results and assumptions you make if you go that route.

BTW I really don't like a turn 3 bet because you said he was willing to continue bluffing on the river, which is almost always true against LAGs
Old 12-19-2006, 07:56 PM

If the lag is capable of laying down a hand then I like this line, otherwide it sucks.

Only time to use this line is if the Lag will calldown any piece even to a strong river raise

The reason being is against a lag who can fold you are risking 2 bets to win 1 everytime. By calling you are risking 1 BB to get 1 BB And if you are uncapable of folding to a 3 bet then you just risked 3 bets to win 1.

Calling this river is the best play i believe
Old 12-19-2006, 08:22 PM

Lank and NL,

Looking at your comments, I get the feeling that I wasn't clear enough in my read. When I said that he occasionally folds after showing aggression, I was implying only that he's doing some (semi-)bluffing. With a VP$IP of 71% and a WSD of 47%, I do not think this guy is folding any pair for one more bet on the river.

Also, for Lank, did you misread the stakes, or were saying that I should post this as if it were a $5/$10 hand?

Scott
Old 12-19-2006, 09:44 PM

I probably would just call. Partly this is because I just don't want to let the LAG get a river bet/3-bet in if he's really got a queen (or better).

It sounds like you'll be winning the hand more often than not, though.
Old 12-19-2006, 11:18 PM

meh i call the river. dont want to get 3 boned by trips