Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-04-2006, 08:07 PM

Default wtf AA hand from PS 180 SNG

About 80 players left. All relevant players have 6000 chips or so. This is my very first hand at the table. The HH shows that in the last 6 hands, villain 1 has called an allin on an Ace hi flop with A5 (rivered a 5 to make 2 pair), and an allin with 66.

Villain 1 limps UTG+2. MP raises to 300. Hero has AA and raises to 900. Not enough, too much? Villain 1 cals, MP calls.

Flop is TJQ with 2 clubs. I don't have the Ac. NEAT. Check, check to me. Bet or check behind? C/R and I vomit. I actually check.

Turn is J. Villain 1 bets 300 and MP1 folds. I call. Raise/fold (I mean raise and fold to a reraise, obv. I'm not folding for 300)?

River is offsuit 5. Villain 1 pushes for 5100, he has Hero covered by 200 chips.

I just can't put him on a hand here. It would seem that anything that beats aces up he would value bet, not ridiculous overbet push. But anytime I call in this scenario, I get shown the nuts.

Help on all streets much appreciated.
Old 02-04-2006, 08:43 PM

Default Re: wtf AA hand from PS 180 SNG

Play is fine. Call. I expect to see KQ or some such from nonthinking opponent (who limped and cold called two raises).
Old 02-06-2006, 12:30 AM

Thanks, nath.

Anyone else have any thoughts on this hand?
Old 02-06-2006, 12:37 AM

I just read that again.
For some reason I now think that going ahead and betting the flop but folding to any aggression might be better.
There's a better chance you might run into a big hand, but it seems weird that one would bet this way.
Old 02-06-2006, 11:47 AM

OK, so the pot is 2850, you would bet, what, about 1500 on the flop?

That was my initial instinct, but if I do so and get raised, I have 1/2 my initial stack in the pot with AA. It's hard to let go, though I would still have 35 BB left.

Plus, clubs or KQ could happily c/r allin.

Man, I hated this hand.
Old 02-06-2006, 11:59 AM

[ QUOTE ]

That was my initial instinct, but if I do so and get raised, I have 1/2 my initial stack in the pot with AA. It's hard to let go, though I would still have 35 BB left.

Man, I hated this hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

Raise more PF, 1200 or 1500. Pot the flop or at least 2k. Also could just be a pushbot and go all-in PF.
Old 02-06-2006, 12:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
About 80 players left. All relevant players have 6000 chips or so. This is my very first hand at the table. The HH shows that in the last 6 hands, villain 1 has called an allin on an Ace hi flop with A5 (rivered a 5 to make 2 pair), and an allin with 66.

Villain 1 limps UTG+2. MP raises to 300. Hero has AA and raises to 900. Not enough, too much? Villain 1 cals, MP calls.

Flop is TJQ with 2 clubs. I don't have the Ac. NEAT. Check, check to me. Bet or check behind? C/R and I vomit. I actually check.

Turn is J. Villain 1 bets 300 and MP1 folds. I call. Raise/fold (I mean raise and fold to a reraise, obv. I'm not folding for 300)?

River is offsuit 5. Villain 1 pushes for 5100, he has Hero covered by 200 chips.

I just can't put him on a hand here. It would seem that anything that beats aces up he would value bet, not ridiculous overbet push. But anytime I call in this scenario, I get shown the nuts.

Help on all streets much appreciated.

[/ QUOTE ]

why would you check this flop. this is a very scary board (maybe also for them), but you are allowing anyone on a draw a cheap way to see the next card as well as not getting any true indication of what you are up against.

BTW, i didn't see the blind amounts listed in your post. villain raised to 300 and you reraised to 900. What were the blinds, 150, 100, 50?
Old 02-06-2006, 12:17 PM

MEH - I think I bet all that I'm willing to lose on the flop. If I'm called or raised, I shut down - WA/WB or fold to any aggression. Also, as played, I definitely raise the turn bet. The J doesn't really scare me here unless he re-raises AI.
Old 02-06-2006, 12:21 PM

Pre-flop is fine, but I think you have to bet this flop. Yes, a C/R puts you in a tough spot, but there are about 8 zillion turn cards that are bad news, pretty much any club and any broadway will kill your hand or action.

I assume the turn J did not put three clubs on the board?

The t300 bet is tough to read. Either a probe bet to see where he is, or God's own monster. In either case the villain is terrible. I think this bet actually gives you a bit more room to maneuver. Raise here to t1000, and:

1) Fold to a re-raise.
2) Check behind if he calls, and checks the river (which he probably will, once you throw in that kind of milking raise).
3) Take the pot if he folds (which he might).

Once you call the turn bet...hmm. He may be pushing the river because he thinks you feel vulnerable and the pot is worth winning. (Right on both counts, too.) You are behind a whole bunch of hands here: AK, QQ, Jx, TT, and none of these seem impossible. I'm probably folding.

Sam
Old 02-06-2006, 12:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Man, I hated this hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

Raise more PF, 1200 or 1500. Pot the flop or at least 2k. Also could just be a pushbot and go all-in PF.

[/ QUOTE ]

There is no way with blinds at 50/100 that I am pushing 6000 chips in over a raise to 300 with AA (or any hand). Never. I can accept the 1200 as a valid option, though I thought the raise to 900 would be enough to do exactly what I wanted: Get headsup with the raiser. Not many donkeys are open-calling, then calling 8xBB more.

So if you pot the flop, are you folding to an allin?