Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Medium Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-19-2006, 03:33 PM

Default Calling reraises in position with 100bb

I dont think this has been discussed lately too much.

Lets say you're CO/Button at a 6-handed table and have 100bb stack. You have a c20% pfr and mix it up.

Hero opens, SB/BB (c20% pfr, aggressive) defends with a reraise. Basically the villian has the seemingly common strategy of only defending his blind via a reraise. Presumably the defender probably doesnt like playing medium/low pocket pairs out of position against hero because the set value isnt there and its tough to be +ev out of position against an aggressive player.

Do you play hands like 10[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] ? It seems that loads of people do in which case it would make sense for them to float or bluff raise some flops and yet I rarely see this. I prefer to 4-bet bluff in this situation (if I think big blind repops too wide a range) and force blind to commit his stack or not.

What sort of hands do you flat call with?
Old 12-19-2006, 06:13 PM

Default Re: Calling reraises in position with 100bb

I also see a ton of people calling on the button with those kinds of hands. I think it's a terrible play but so many do it so there must be some merit.

Basically if your calling with hands like 8Ts here you need to be able to out play the villian and win the pot when you don't improve.

I also like 4 betting against these types of villians. People will repop all kinds of stuff and he will fold almost all if it to the 4bet.
Old 12-19-2006, 07:12 PM

Aren't frequent reraisers like this fairly common? Including some great players (like CTS)?

I think it all depends on how the opponent plays in reraised pots, so indirectly it depends on how good your read is on him. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] If he's too loose or too tight in reraised pots, or just extremely predictable, it could all be profitable.
Old 12-19-2006, 07:49 PM

this is very opponent dependant and cant be answered by typical stats.. not to mention about a million other things that are dependant upon that moment in the game, etc.