Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-19-2006, 02:26 PM

Default Greektown vs Motor City NL

I like the 200 min/max (rebuy to 200 any time, 1/2 blinds, NLHE) at Greektown because the bottom-line is that it's a money-maker due to the usual player makeup (easy to read, straightforward strategy to beat them, good amount of money on the table, generally friendly people, etc.). I don't like it because it's really smoky, the list system is terrible, and further the floormen are rude and often don't run the show properly when they finally get you to a table (there were 6 people at the main table and 8 at the must-move for over 30 minutes). I've never seen the 200 min/max game offered in the non-smoking room.

I like and don't like Motor City for basically the opposite reasons. No smoking, electronic list system, nice and competent floormen (and a snack area!), but the 50-200 game is a 1-2-2 blind structure with no allowances to rebuy to 200; I never seem to do much better than break even. I'm doing nicely at Greektown and I don't make any dramatic changes at Motor City.

Questions...

- Do people have any other comments on the comparison of Greektown and Motor City?

- Is MCC running a 200 min/max (or comparable game) yet? If not, any ideas on how to convince them to get one started?

- Should the 1-2-2 50/200 game also be a money-maker for me? If so, what adjustments do I need to make? (Let me know if you'd like more info on my game...)

<font color="green">Happy</font>
<font color="red">Holidays</font>

- Doctor McNasty
Old 12-19-2006, 05:27 PM

Default Re: Greektown vs Motor City NL

I mostly play at Motor City because I can get on a table faster, it is non-smoking, and it is better ran. Also, playing at the same location can be profitable in that you can get to know players better. All games at both locations should be profitable if you are a good player. Depending on the time and the table MC may have slightly tougher players, but still plenty of weak players.
Old 12-19-2006, 06:23 PM

Search back perhaps a month or two for my name on this forum and you should find some good discussions. Motor City usually has 4 games going every night and there usually a few good games. I haven't been there in a few weeks since I'm playing out west right now, but I doubt anything has changed. Greektown just sucks.

there was talk of MC adding a $2-5Nl w/ a $500 max buyin and I wish they would. I also wish they'd change the structure of the $200 so you could rebuy anytime. It would even be better if the game was a $300 buyin. Try to convince them of that too. Many of the games in Vegas are $300 max $1-2NL and some are $500 which is really nice.
Old 12-19-2006, 10:06 PM

I don't have much to say about MCC, I got rolled last time I was there. First time I ever went to MCC to play poker. I get on the list and go sit at the bar, Light up a smoke and a bartender tells me I gotta go downstairs to smoke. I roll downstairs to the bar and chill. After smokes I'd come back up and check the list and chill at the upstairs bar. A lil more than an hour of waiting, I check the list and I'm still at like 6. I go down for a smoke with a buddy who just got there and put on a list. We go back upstairs to find out I'm now off the list! I was slightly pissed off because I had waited that long so I cruised over to greektown (I prefer there room better anyways). I waited about 10 mins at the bar at greektown, It seemed like they ran the games a little faster than MCC.

I must say I encountered a douchedealer, He rolled some kid UTG because he pulled his cell phone out to check the time. Then another time the same kid got up from the table to have a smoke and saw the next hand being delt so he put his smoke down and got ready to sit down and the dealer did the samething again.

Oh and I ran into some kid who rivered a boat when I flopped a K w/AKs and turned a nut flush only to lose to a river boat. The kid said "ship it" if thats one of you guys, [censored] off. lol