Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-19-2006, 01:19 PM

Default First Hand 3/6 Live Game

Hey everyone, new to the forum but not to the game, I really think this place will help improve my game.

Anyways, on to the action.

I just sit down at my 3/6 game (9handed) and post one hand after the button and see:

10 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 10 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

UTG: Fold
UTG+1: Limps
MP1: Raise
MP2 : Fold
MP3 : Re-Raise
HERO: Call
Button: Fold
SB: Fold
BB: Fold
UTG +1: Fold
MP1: Call
(11 sb)

Flop: 7 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 6 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 2 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
MP1: Check
MP3: Check
HERO: Bet
MP3: Call
(14sb)

Turn: 9 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
MP1: Bet
MP3: Raise
HERO: Call????
(13bb)

River: 4 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
MP1: Bet
MP3: Fold
HERO: ??????

What the hell do you make of this hand or my play of it? It was my first at the table so I had no reads at all. Thanks
Old 12-19-2006, 01:30 PM

Default Re: First Hand 3/6 Live Game

I know it'll sound creepy, but unless you have a read on the players that they're bad, I would find a fold on the turn. You're likely drawing to 12% on the river and the pot is too small to continue.
Old 12-19-2006, 03:32 PM

I would cap it pre-.

I think you have about 3 (or maybe 4) adjusted outs on the turn (4 to the gutshot straight, discounted for being a one card non-nut straight, and 2 to top set, discounted for putting a one-card straight on the board). I think the "right" play, without reads, is to fold.

As played call on the end. You have a decent hand, and the flop and turn lines are so strange I'm having a hard time putting MP1 on a hand.
Old 12-19-2006, 03:45 PM

In hindsight, you would have really liked to have capped PF. Flop probably still plays the same and I'll assume it did as well as the turn. For the turn, it looks like you should 3 bet or fold. If you 3 bet and get capped, it would look like the 9 hit a set for MP1. Call the cap and if you are bet into on the river, fold unless you catch your ten.

If you 3 bet the turn and are not capped, I would call a bet from MP1 when MP3 folds. It looks like MP3 was making a play with what turned out to be a busted AK club flush draw.
Old 12-19-2006, 06:56 PM

Fold the turn, after they both c/c the flop and then you are all of a sudden facing two bets on the turn, you are behind here a vast majority of the time and your not even closing the action.. If you are going to continue on, I think you need to 3bet here to see where you are at, and if its capped u can fold the river if you dont improve.

As the hand has played out, if you called the turn, you should be calling the river here. Even though you are pretty much beat all the time, there is really no rationale for calling the turn, if your going to fold when a card like a 4 bricks off on teh river. SO yes I call the river and I hate life.

W/o reads this is a tough hand to play..
Old 12-19-2006, 07:29 PM

Cap Preflop, fold turn.
My Reads blind:
MP 1 limped with a suited connector of some sort, and i bet you he turned a straight. The river bet HOWEVER, gives me the impression he slowplayed a set or made 2 pair instead.
MP 3 could have a bigger overpair, you wouldve known if you capped preflop. @ The turn you have to put him on a set or bigger overpair with no reads. The river makes it obvious he had AK high with a FD or something.

You're line: Call the river. MP1 might be overplaying A9 A7 or a busted draw. Plus you called the turn, what's a 4 gonna do? give him a set? haha the 4 only improves 53... or other trash etc.
Old 12-20-2006, 04:20 AM

Results:

MP1 Shows A [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 6 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
I take down the pot.

MP3 Later tells me he had 88, I can't confirm it but it seems reasonable.

I later find out that MP1 is very very LAG. While MP3 is solid.

Anyways, thanks for all your input guys I really appreciate it.
Old 12-20-2006, 06:09 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I think you have about 3 (or maybe 4) adjusted outs on the turn (4 to the gutshot straight, discounted for being a one card non-nut straight, and 2 to top set, discounted for putting a one-card straight on the board).

[/ QUOTE ]

I think you're discounting the straight outs too much; the only hands that chop or beat hero if he hits his straight are hands with a T in them, and being that:

-Hero has half the tens in the deck
-What Tx hand do you expect either villain to have given the play of the hand?

That said folding the turn for 2 cold is probably correct. Really the hand should have been cut off at that point since calling the turn to fold the river is really bad.
Old 12-20-2006, 08:24 AM

If calling two cold on the turn is incorrect, how can 3 betting TT pF be correct?
Old 12-20-2006, 08:53 AM

grunch

cap preflop, fold turn