Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Beats, Brags, and Variance
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-18-2006, 05:39 PM

Default Running bad over 40k hands (LONG AND BORING)

I never thought I would do this, but I needed somewhere to vent.

Never have I taken so many beats in so many spots for such a protracted period. My confidence is low and I feel almost depressed, but even more so, I feel determined. These beats haven't affected my game much, just some tilty re raises preflop against certain donks. I'm still playing A- poker but I just am unable to win. It's like a nightmare where you are unable to escape. I am losing an incredibly disproportionate # of hands, no matter how good my money goes in (preflop, flop, turn). Its funny because i am no longer sure if I actually enjoy the comedy of someone sucking out their 2 outer or the dread I feel when each card is turned over (turn/river)... As I prepare my push allin I imagine their hole cards before they even turn over. Its scary because my reads are usually good and I find myself telling my screen: no DIAMONDS ONE TIME FOR THE LOVE OF GOD! But, just like in my nightmares, the Diamond comes. Yet, I remain calm, "I still have outs I think to myself, full house ONE TIME." And then a hammer hits me in the chest as the board does not pair and the pot is shipped away. I judiciously reload.

Take last night for instance. I Put in a 10 hour session (with breaks). I am playing good and up 6 buyins at 10/20NL but within a few hours I still manage a 3.5 buyin loser for the day(who the hell runs that badly?-- seriously go review my hands, the biggest dog I ever was in a hand was two overs plus flush vs my PP). I am not playing wild or loose and I carefully consider my opponents/position/board.

------------------------------------------------------------
highlights which you probably dont care about:
346 board all in 56villian vs hero's 77. all in flop, turn is a 6 obviously. 1.5 buyins.

q35 board w/ 2 diamonds re raised preflop. Hero QQ, villian a7 diamonds. You know it gets all in on the flop, and you know what happens.

kj hero vs qj villian all in on flop of kq10 board. you know who wins. 1.5 buyins

standard coolers===>
hero kk vs aa LAG TARD VILLAIN who check calls the preflop re raise, then smooth calls every bet on queen high draw heavy board which never gets there(standard value push on river gets owned). 1 buyin

KQ diamonds hero on button vs same villian who has called from small blind with a2 diamonds. I have made top pair on the turn and I check raise him to the tune of 2k. Insta snap call by villain. By the time we get to the river he only has 800 behind on a 6k pot (dont look at me, hes the one smooth calling 2k) Obviously a Diamond on the river and dutifully push because I hate life and King high flush is never good(2 buyins go bye bye).

AK hearts vs 1010 on a: 9 8 2 two heart board. all in flop. Standard heart on the turn. 1.25 buy ins

------------------------------------------------------------

Ok sorry, You get the idea. Lately, I am finding myself a bit consumed. All I can think about is how I can't wait to get 2k in as a 3:1 favorite. But, then I lose over and over and by end of the night I find myself firing up a smoke cussing my luck. Literally, if I wasn't value betting the crap out of these morons I would be broke from getting my money all-in with the best hand. Its that simple.

I once was told the definition of insanity is to keep doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result. I am starting to feel a bit insane.
Old 12-18-2006, 07:04 PM

Default Re: Running bad over 40k hands (LONG AND BORING)

This may sound simple but the best advice I ever had was to take a break for a few days [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

If you really must play try a different game for some fun.
Old 12-19-2006, 12:11 AM

CHAx,

Try playing live poker for a little while to change it up. Live poker is full of fun fathoming fools who feed funds to the fortunate finders of them.

Change it up and make poker fun again
Old 12-19-2006, 01:48 PM

I feel your pain. Sometimes the cards aren't fair. Not even close. There's something about online poker. I don't know what exactly, but these downswings seem to be the norm. I played live for years, and never saw/experienced these kinds of downswings. Sure you get cold-decked, sure a few draws hit against you, but not 20 in a row. (never been my experience anyway)

There is alot of luck involved in poker. And it's always better to be lucky than good.

Take a breather, and hope the black clowd passes sooner than later.
Old 12-20-2006, 03:43 PM

I know exactly how you feel. It's almost funny sometimes when i know I'm going to lose before the river is dealt. I used to throw ish. Now I just laugh.

Withdraw all your cash from online sites. Don't play poker for a while. Then move to playing more live games.

I still see suckouts there, but not as many. I seriously can a whole session online where NOTHING holds up. I'm sure you can relate. Live is much better.
Old 12-20-2006, 03:48 PM

take a break, like i am, till new years and then re-evaluate and see if you want to play
Old 12-20-2006, 03:49 PM

GRAPH GRAPH GRAPH
Old 12-20-2006, 03:51 PM

Am I the only the one that just quits for the day after I win X? Sometimes I'll go on a heater and win 50BB in 30 minutes and just say, "eh, that's enough for today"
Old 12-20-2006, 04:11 PM

yeahhhhh triple six mafia

1st you get the swishers
2nd buy the liquor
3rd buy some of that sticky, most smokers call it sticker
Can't forget the Newport, suckin' on my too short
Call my nigga Big Tris, bring that blow and snizort
I'm high ass [censored] lizzy
I'm stressin' how i'm livin'
Oh please, oh please, oh please,
just give me just one mo' hizze
This hydro weed I got some
I might blow you a shocker
But if you can't play hizzap
I guess yo ass don't want none
Old 12-21-2006, 03:22 PM

You seem to play offline as you play 10-20 NL vs. morons. You have been running bad for 40K hands; I expect that means not making money. That's not possible until you are paying them off too much; NL holdem is a game like a two pair game and that's where the donkeys make their money if you kep paying them too often. Why are you giving examples? We all know what bad beat hands look like, and when one is running bad any amount of time those happen more often than on average. If you are playing online and have donkeys there and have played 40K hands and consider yourself a winning player in such games, don't play there anymore, you should have stopped long time ago.