Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-18-2006, 02:45 PM

Default Small blind folds, 3 handed, final table.

Curious as to what the board thinks about my final table play.

Commerce Sunday tourny. $300 buy in w/ 1 re-buy.
Final table, three handed.
1st pays $8100
2nd pays $4500
3rd pays $2500

Chip counts approx.
Me- t50,000
Villian 1 (to my left)- t19,000 (experienced, solid)
Villian 2 (to my right)- t21,000 (in-experienced, fearless)

Blinds: 2k, 1k, 300 ante.

V's are playing for 2nd and a chance at me. They are agressive and have gone all in against each other a few times but are again nearly even. Blinds aren't due to increase for another 10+ minutes. As I saw it my options were to let them battle and occassionaly steal blinds with the hope that I would get heads up with at least a 3 to 2 chip advantage or try to knock one out and have a giant stack for 1st. The obvious problem is that were I to lose an all in from one of them the roles would be reversed. I chose the former. This left me playing a pretty passive role at the table and resulted in my folding hands like A6 in the SB to V-2's button raises and calling or surrendering SB's to a crafty V-1 in the BB. My button play was weak, mostly due to a plethora of 9/2's and the like and I was able to steal only occassionaly. I began to bleed chips. Eventually, V-1 doubled through V-2 and we were heads up. At this point I had about a 6k lead and we chopped for 6.1k each. Well?
Old 12-18-2006, 02:52 PM

Default Re: Small blind folds, 3 handed, final table.

Well look man the blinds are huge in relation to the stacks, and against these stacks very often the only legit play pre flop is shoving on them, as they both have only 10 BB's an you can't really raise 3X then fold for 7X more getting 2 to 1. I think you still need to put some pressure on these guys because heads up your advantage at these blinds as 3 to 2 favorite is basically nothing besides being able to withstand a little more variance/bad luck, but it certainly isn't the kind of lead with the amount of BB's you'll both have that legitimately allows you to "outplay" him in a significant way.

Bear in mind though even with applying pressure since your moves are so automatic your basically going to be playing your cards. If your the button or folded to in the SB your shoving range is basically:
Any A, any two face, any pair, and a few others. Getting fancy shoving 92o isn't going to help things when their doubling up thru you means now the stacks are almost exactly switched.
Old 12-18-2006, 03:06 PM

When they are shorstacked like this you should be shoving nearly every hand.
Old 12-18-2006, 03:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
When they are shorstacked like this you should be shoving nearly every hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

Whats your shoving range here DD? I think i might be a bit tight/weak in these spots.
Old 12-18-2006, 06:39 PM

The payout is roughly ~.5, .3, .2
If he's on the button,
SB is passive, give him a range of 55+,ATo+,A8s+,KQs
BB is fearless, so give him a range of 33+,A7o+,A4s+,KTs+

According to SNGPT he sould push 100% of hands. However, if they quickly catch on, their calling ranges will expand and you will have to cut back some, but you should definitely be pushing any 2 if it's folded to you in the SB.